Common "Ascites" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Ascites is a condition in which there is fluid collection in the abdomen. The main reason for this condition is liver cirrhosis. Heart conditions, dialysis, low protein levels, etc., can also cause this condition. It can be painful if the condition is severe.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What are the common causes for stomach upset?

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from stomach upset for about one month. My stomach feels full and tight all day. My belly looks larger than usual. When I start to eat or drink stomach feels full, but I am still hungry. I have on and off mild stomach pain. I have throat irritation and a burning sensation on...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The most common causes of stomach upset are gastritis, constipation, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), infection, accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity. Other uncommon causes are tumors of the GI (gastrointestinal) tract. Out of these, gastritis should improve with ...  Read Full »

I have a bloated feeling in my stomach with only three defecations per week. Kindly help me.

Query: Hi doctor,I have a bloated feeling in the stomach with less than three defecations per week and also have flatulence. Kindly give your opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Actually, this can be due to acidity and constipation. A low fiber diet is the main cause of such symptoms. Can you please tell me: 1) Since when did you have constipation? 2) Have you ever noticed blood in stool? I suggest you take syrup Lactulose 15 ml once before...  Read Full »

Can abdominal pain and weight loss be due to ovarian cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have abdominal pain, fullness, nausea, weight loss, leg edema. I would like a second opinion and another interpretation of my scans, please. In February, I started having bad abdominal fullness, nausea, vomiting, anemia, and weight loss for a few weeks. Then I felt a little better ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ismail Mikdat Kabakus

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you very much for providing detailed history and uploading all the blood tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Blood tests give us many clues. You definitely have less red blood cells than expected but also you have low white blood cell count. ...  Read Full »

What could cause ascites along with chest pain??

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is 33 years old, who is 5.5 feet tall and whose weight is 132 lbs. She had been admitted for stomach pain. She has ascites in the stomach, and it was removed, and more ascites are still there in the stomach. She has chest pain, and the full left part of the body is painful. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your main problem is ascites, which are leading towards gastro-esophageal reflux. But the cause of ascites here could not be known. The most typical cause of ascites is cirrhosis (due to alcohol, hepatitis B, and C), but the liver is normal on ultrasound. There are also...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for early stage liver cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, The scan for my maid's husband shows early liver cirrhosis. We need a consultation on the scan. He has stomach pain with water-filled abdomen. Is surgery necessary?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Bansari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have reviewed your given details. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I agree with you that he is suffering from end stage liver disease and ultrasound is showing fatty liver. We need to look at the cause of this fatty liver, which could be due to e...  Read Full »

A 65 year old has stage 2 liver fibrosis. Can liver fibrosis be reversed?

Query: Hello doctor,The patient is 65 years old. Doctors have concluded liver fibrosis stage 2. In fibro scan, the lymphocytes are 95 %, amylase is 20 U/L, monocytes and macrophages is 5 %. The fluid is hazy in appearance. Can liver fibrosis be reversed?   Read Full »

Dr. Jagdish Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Interpretation of reports. It is F4 fibrosis, not F2. Ascites. No SBP (spontaneous bacterial peritonitis). Portal Hypertension. Chronic liver disease. With this advanced fibrosis, it could not be reversed back.  Read Full »

I am diagnosed with Budd-Chiari syndrome, and feeling very uncomfortable due to ascites. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, He was diagnosed with Budd-Chiari syndrome before five months, and he is feeling very uncomfortable due to ascites. Currently on Acitrom 3 mg, and Udiliv Dytor 10 mg. Kindly advice.  Read Full »

Dr. C. Elanchezhian

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Budd-Chiari Syndrome is a rare condition caused by narrowing and obstruction of the hepatic veins. Obstruction of the veins prevents the flow of blood from the liver to the heart. Obstruction is due to the formation of a fibrous web in the blood vessel or blood clots. ...  Read Full »

What is causing abdominal pain, discomfort and loss of appetite?

Query: Hello doctor,The scans of a 50-year-old male patient presenting with ascites, pericarditis, and also some fluid around his lungs. No known cause at this time. Liver enzymes are normal. Creatinine levels were high in the recent past but currently within the normal range. Heart and lung function is no...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for writing to us. I hope the patient is not in much discomfort. The CT scan images (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) are showing pericardial effusion and ascites in the right superior perihepatic area and causing mild subcapsular scallo...  Read Full »

Can peritoneal carcinomatosis cause ascites?

Query: Hello doctor, I did a CT abdominal scan, and I would like to know if there are any evidence of masses, peritoneal carcinomatosis, etc.  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for writing in to us. The CT (Computed tomography) abdomen scan images are reviewed (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I would like to make the following comments. There is no large mass in the abdominal cavity. There is minimal fluid in t...  Read Full »

Had Polyethylene glycol before 40 days and alcohol before 7 days. Will I get any adverse reaction?

Query: Hi doctor, I was given with Polyethylene glycol for 40 days before undergoing endoscopy and colonoscopy procedures. I had symptoms of edema and consumed 200 ml of alcohol before seven days. Can I have possible adverse reactions?  Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Please explain about the purpose for doing colonoscopy and endoscopy. Edema can occur due to many reasons. It can occur due to nutritional deficiency.  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.