Q. A 10-year-old girl obsess spanking frequently. Is this due to Asperger's syndrome?

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 26, 2019

I am afraid that my 10-year-old daughter might have Asperger's syndrome. She obsesses over spankings all day long. She watches videos of spankings all day long also, and she fantasizes of getting hit. She even spanks her brothers and sisters. I can tell it gives her some pleasure. She has no friends, and she wants to sit fantasizing about it if she does not have an iPad to look it up. She also obsesses a specific type of people. Does she have Asperger's? Is this a symptom of it or something?

Dr. Padmapriya Chandran

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

Your daughter is into the screen most of the time, and hence, it will be her primary advisor. She is just modeling what she sees and is quite common at this age. Try to minimize her interaction with the screen. She requires more human interaction. Put her in extracurricular activities to the maximum. Spend time with the child talking to her, and she will like it. Do not punish her, as it will have a negative impact, and the behavior can increase because of scolding. She will slowly get out of it. You can review with me for further follow-up.

What are the side effects of taking Adderall for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 29 year old boyfriend, who weighs 190 lbs and 6 feet tall, he is a former athlete in college. He was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia through the spinal tab, five years ago. He is now taking Adderall 60 mg a day total, spread over six times, and is using Flumazenil cream, wh...  Read Full »

Why do I get sudden jerks when I am about to sleep?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 31 years old, male. My problem is when I am about to go to sleep then there is a sudden jerk. I asked my wife. I do not jerk while sleeping or in middle of sleep. It happens just when I am about to fall asleep. Suddenly a quick jerk. It happens for a couple of times then finally I ...  Read Full »