Q. Are asthma patients more prone for COVID-19 infection?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 31, 2020

I had asthma at the age of 10. Now my age is 21. I was given Formonide 100 inhaler daily. For the past three to four years, I occasionally use that inhaler once in one or two months. During this Corona period, I am using it daily as a precaution. From next week onwards I have to go to college. I want to know am I at the risk of contracting Coronavirus? Will I get a severe issue if I contract Coronavirus?

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a panic attack about Coronavirus. You are a known case of asthma but well controlled now.

Well, an asthmatic patient is more prone to get infected by the COVID-19 virus, as it primarily affects the respiratory tract. But, your asthma is well controlled now without any medications. So do not worry. Keep a pulse oximeter with you and monitor your oxygen saturation rate regularly. Wear an N95 face mask when you go outside and try to keep a 6-feet distance from other people and not spend more than 15 minutes with any people.

|