Q. My mom's biopsy report shows chronic non-specific cholecystitis. Should we worry about this?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

I wanted to take a second opinion about my mother. In her ultrasound, it was diagnosed that she had gall bladder stones. There was no pain but it was accidentally observed in the ultrasound. We waited for three years, but then, later on, one of my friend’s mother developed gall bladder cancer which was fatal. This incident prompted us to take a second opinion. And this time, the doctor also suggested that gall bladder should be removed because the stones might create problems in pancreas. Therefore we had her operated and the gallbladder was surgically removed. After the operation, biopsy of the gallbladder was also done. (All the relevant reports are attached the pre-operative medical tests are also there. In one of the reports in history, it is written that patient gives a history of pain in abdomen, complaints of acid peptic dyspepsia. She had no pain in the abdomen and no problem of gas or indigestion before the operation). After the operation, she had pain in the operation area which was healed later on.

She has had typhoid thrice and TB once when she was young. She had chikungunya type fever last year which was negative for chikungunya tests, but the doctor said it might have been chikungunya and the tests might not have been done in the right time period that is why they came negative. She also takes medicines for blood pressure, knee and joint pain (calcium), cataract, homeopathic medicine for nose polyp infection.

Here are my questions: The biopsy report says the impression of chronic non-specific cholecystitis, should we worry about it? Is chronic non-specific cholecystitis cancerous? My mother faced gas problems after the operation which became normal after a week or so and rarely she has that (like recently she had some dal paratha which was oily and caused the gas). Is this normal? Would she be frequently having gas incidents since her gall bladder is removed? We never did a biopsy of the gall bladder stones, should that also be done?

#

Having gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) I just need to reassure you that the surgery was done by a world class surgeon.

Reply to your queries:

No need to worry about non-specific cholecystitis. It is not a cancerous lesion. If she avoids fried and fermented meals then there will be no issues of gas. Stones are analyzed not biposed but it is fine if that was not done. Type can be interpreted from the gross appearance but anyways it does not affect management.

I have attached some of the pre-operative medical test report which got deleted. Attaching them again individually.

Do your answers to my questions change after looking at these? I did not understand, what do you mean by type can be interpreted from the gross appearance but anyways it does not affect the management. Which type are you talking about and what management? Gallstone size is mentioned as small and stone present in the cystic duct is mentioned in the discharge summary, what can be analyzed by this? Are there any more analysis required apart from what was done by the hospital or what you can see from the reports?

#

I have gone through the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Serum alkaline phosphatase and triglycerides are marginally elevated but not significant enough to cause symptoms, other reports are normal.

My answer remains the same. What I mentioned was the type of gallstones like pigment, mixed, etc, and by management, I meant the final treatment. Type can be judged by having a look at the stones. The treatment remains the same for the removal of gall bladder.

Stones are usually small and multiple impacted stones in the cystic duct, if not removed in time can cause pyocele of gallbladder or even rupture the gall bladder so it is good it has been removed well in time. Apparently no other findings are there in the report.

|