Q. I want to know about the relapse regarding AIHA.

Dr. Girish C Kamat

I am 20 years old. I had a sudden onset of AIHA. At first, I had no response to steroid therapy, and after a week, I came back to normal. I want to know about the relapse with AIHA.

Dr. Girish C Kamat

Hematology Internal Medicine
#

Approximately 80 % of patients respond to corticosteroids at a dose equivalent to Prednisolone 60 to 100 mg per day and nearly two-thirds achieve complete remission (CR). The initial response takes several weeks. But an absence of a response for 21 days is considered as a steroid failure. In responding patients, an incremental taper can begin, for example, when the Hb (hemoglobin) is more than 100 g/dL or after a maximum of three weeks, we can reduce the dose to 20 to 30 mg over four to six weeks, and then by 5 mg every month.

In a series of 33 primary AIHA (autoimmune hemolytic anemia) cases, relapse was more common if the steroids were tapered to 10 mg in less than two months and when stopped in less than six months. Approximately 20 % of patients remain in remission after steroids are discontinued. Although a further 40 % can maintain an acceptable Hb by keeping Prednisolone at 15 to 20 mg, due to the long-term side effects of steroids, and a second-line therapy is considered.

| 

What can be done to cure external pile?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an external pile for the past four days. I use Ibuprofen for pain and also use a tube of Scheriproct. There has been no improvement in four days. Should I get worried or does it take time to clear?  Read Full »

Is vitamin D deficiency one of the reasons for psoriasis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from psoriasis for the past 24 years. I have tried a lot of ointments already. I heard one of the reasons is lack of vitamin D. Is it true? I am 54 years old now.  Read Full »

My daughter has swollen lymph nodes and positive ANA. Please provide opinion.

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter, 15 years, has swollen lymph nodes. Biopsy done. It is non-malignant. No TB. But ANA has come positive. I would like to share the reports and take your opinion.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now