Autophony

Autophony is the hearing of one's own voice and breathing sounds in the ear. It can be very disturbing and cause a feeling of fullness in the ear.

How to get rid of autophony?

Query: Hello Doctor, For the last 3-4 years I have been getting occasional autophony. This usually occurs during physical exercises like running etc., or when in college or when I am with my friends. It is very irritating to listen to my own voice echoing in the ear and also I do hear my own heart beat a...  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your entire history and understood your problem. Autophony is the unusual hearing of one's own voice and even breathing sounds. You have two issues:- Patulous Eustachian Tube and, OME (Otitis Media with Effusion) which is on and off fluid collection in th...  Read Full »

How to get rid of autophony?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 19 year old male. From the last three years, I have been facing the symptoms of Patulous Eustachian Tube with the eustachian tubes partially open few times in a day. My own voice becomes distorted and sounds like it is coming from a vacuum. Breath sounds are enhanced and swallo...  Read Full »

Dr. Vikram Vel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel a naso and otoendoscopy is first necessary to confirm the diagnosis. The condition is not dangerous unless it leads to some middle ear problem. If you can manage by doing a manoeuvre like how you described, it might help in symptom control and you may not need ...  Read Full »

Could sinus infection cause autophony?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a sinus problem and got cleared before two months. Now, I have been suffering from autophony in one ear for the past two months after the sinus surgery. I used to clench my jaw a lot during sinus issue and there is some jaw pain. All my audiometry and pressure tests are normal. Also...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Autophony can be due to the patulous eustachian tube. It is more common in female, hyperthyroidism, sudden weight loss, post pregnancy, etc. Since you had a sinus infection, it could have masked eustachian tube and you were not having this problem. Ringing sound (not auto...  Read Full »