Q. What should I do to treat the constipation in a 8 months old baby?

Dr. M.l.kothari
Published on Jun 08, 2019

My baby boy is 8 months old and has trouble in passing stools. With Laxatives, doctor prescribed he is passing hard stools once in four to five days, and he is crying while passing stools. What can I do to improve his constipation? And what diet changes do I need to make? Currently, I am giving him oatmeal pear puree, pear puree, apple puree, and chikoo puree.

Dr. M.l.kothari

Paediatrics
#

Your kid is suffering from an anal fissure that is a cut at anal mucosa. Give syrup Duphalac (Lactulose) one teaspoon full once a day at night time after meals. Apply several ano ointments (Lidocaine, Metronidazole, Sucralfate) locally three times a day for 15 days with the applicator. According to me stop milk from 8 am to 8 pm and give semisolid diet like dal, dalia, khichdi alu kela rice, apple, upama, halwa, rab kadi idle poha satu custard, etc and from 8 pm to 8 am give mother milk is preferable if not give top milk without water and add sugar as per your taste .

To start with stop milk for four hours for 15 days and give semisolid diet, next stop milk for eight hours and give semisolid food, lastly, stop milk from 8 am to 8 pm and provide semisolid diet. As 100 ml milk gives 70 calories of energy, 100 ml juices give 55 calories of energy, and 100 gm of semisolid food gives 350 calories of energy. When giving a semisolid diet, provide water as the baby requires. Kindly consult your doctor to discuss the suggestion and take the treatment with consent.

1. Vitanova drops (vitamin D3) 1 ml once a day.
  2. Feris drops 1 ml once a day.
  3. Zincovit drops one ml once a day.
  4. Syprup Ostebon one teaspoon full twice a day.

Continue all the above for at least 2 years of age.

| 

Kindly tell the management of constipation.

Query: Hello doctor, Acute chronic constipation for the last 20 years. I have been taking in the past multiple medications but could not be cured of constipation. Recently, I started taking capsule Pantocid L in the morning and I found relief to the extent of 40 % from my constipation but still, I am stru...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest the most effective laxative for my mother's constipation.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 80 years old, has diabetes, high BP and thyroid since last 15 years. She is under control with medicines. She has chronic constipation since last 30 years and uses different laxatives. In the past one year, her constipation has increased and even high doses of laxatives...  Read Full »

I have stomach ache and bloating. Should I take a laxative?

Query: Hello doctor, Starting Friday morning, I started to get stomach pain and a headache and my body felt week. I went home and slept for a couple hours and this seemed to help at first. That night I was up until 4 AM with terrible stomach pain and extreme bloating. I took Mylanta and was able to at le...  Read Full »