Q. My baby often has loose stools. What medicines should I give him?

Dr. Alka
Published on Sep 12, 2017

I have a 6 months old son. He often suffers from loose stools. I do not know why it happens. My friend suggested I give Mathulai manappagu. Please share your thoughts.

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query.

• Giving medicine is not the ideal solution to his problem. Firstly, try to find out the exact cause behind the loose motions. Because, once you find out the exact cause, it will be easy for you to avoid that causative factor and the loose motion will automatically get cured.
  • Babies his age usually have this problem due to milk. So, if you are giving him cow's or buffalo's milk, stop it for a while and give him mother feed. Then notice if the frequency of stools is under control.
  • The next thing is, as he is 6 months old, give him fruits like banana, apples, pomegranate juice, boiled rice because all these things are helpful in binding the stool. If you give him a proper diet, then you will find there is no need to give him medicines.

I hope you understand my point. Follow up after two weeks.

Revert after two weeks to an ayurveda specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

Nutritional Management of Diarrhea in Children

Article Overview: Children are very susceptible to various kinds of infections and diseases. Hence, it is very essential to take care of their health as they fall sick quite often. One of the reason diarrhea is common is probably the lack of hygienic practices followed in the kitchen. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Paediatrician

Following are some of the nutritional remedies for kids with diarrhea. Plenty of Fluids If your child is suffering from diarrhea, there is a lot of water loss occurring in your child’s body leading to dehydration. Also, there is a loss of various electrolytes from the body, for example, sodi...  Read Article

Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after seve...  Read Full »

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now