Q. Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Mar 14, 2018

I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after several attempts. My question is should I completely stop breastfeeding? Will breast milk transfer chickenpox virus? I am eagerly waiting for your response.

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I can understand your concern.

If you have chickenpox or herpes zoster virus infection and you are breastfeeding, then your baby does not get infected with the chickenpox virus through your breast milk.

However, if you still have blisters on your skin, then it is possible your baby could develop chickenpox if they come into direct contact with your chickenpox or herpes zoster blisters.

Chickenpox virus does not spread through breast milk. It only spreads by skin contact.

Since the patch is on your waist and not on any other body part, I think you can breastfeed your child.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

If my baby gets the chickenpox virus, is it going to be more serious? He is just 7 months old and did not receive the vaccine yet. How to prevent him from this infection?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Yes, chickenpox is not good for a 7 month child and various complications can occur.
  • The only thing that you can do is do not get any infected area directly in contact with child.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Got chickenpox during pregnancy. What shall I do now?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. My weight is 48 kg. I am 3 months 2 weeks pregnant. Now, I got chickenpox. I am very anxious about the adverse affect for my baby. I have visited a gynecologist and she suggested me to get abortion. Please clarify me the right step.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Really this is a confusing state, but this does not mean you have to abort the fetus right now. When mother get infected with chickenpox, fetus carries a risk. But the risk is only 2% and in those cases the fetus might develop rarely some form of abnormality. Thus...  Read Full

Is it safe to breastfeed two weeks after chicken pox?

Query: Hello doctor,It has been 16 days since my sister was diagnosed with chicken pox. All the scabs have vanished. She had temporarily stopped breastfeeding her 6 month old baby. Can she start feeding the baby again?  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, she can start feeding her baby again, as she no longer carries the infection. for more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician  Read Full

Cellulitis

Article Overview: Cellulitis is a potentially serious bacterial infection of the skin, which includes the subcutaneous tissue, fat, and the soft tissue layer. It first appears as an area which is hot to touch and is red and swollen. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha

Cellulitis Overview Cellulitis is a potentially serious bacterial infection of the skin, which includes the subcutaneous tissue, fat, and the soft tissue layer. It first appears as an area which is hot to touch and is red and swollen. Cellulitis can occur anywhere in the body, but usually, it affec...  Read Article