Q. Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?

Dr. Deepak Patel

I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after several attempts. My question is should I completely stop breastfeeding? Will breast milk transfer chickenpox virus? I am eagerly waiting for your response.

#

I can understand your concern.

If you have chickenpox or herpes zoster virus infection and you are breastfeeding, then your baby does not get infected with the chickenpox virus through your breast milk.

However, if you still have blisters on your skin, then it is possible your baby could develop chickenpox if they come into direct contact with your chickenpox or herpes zoster blisters.

Chickenpox virus does not spread through breast milk. It only spreads by skin contact.

Since the patch is on your waist and not on any other body part, I think you can breastfeed your child.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

If my baby gets the chickenpox virus, is it going to be more serious? He is just 7 months old and did not receive the vaccine yet. How to prevent him from this infection?

#

• Yes, chickenpox is not good for a 7 month child and various complications can occur.
  • The only thing that you can do is do not get any infected area directly in contact with child.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|