Q. Cow's milk does not seem to suit my 1 year old baby. What can I give her instead?

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Our baby girl is about 1 year and one month old. We just started giving cow milk two days back. A packet of A2 unpasteurized milk was bought, boiled and cooled down. We gave about 300 ml per day once. Her motion looks affected a little. It is not solid. At night, she suddenly started crying as if in pain yesterday and the day before that. Even breast feeding did not help. So, we suspect it could be due to the milk. Her weight was just around 8 kg, which seems to be at the lower limit for her age. That was the reason we started giving cow milk. Should we continue to give cow milk? If so, how do we treat A2 milk before giving it to her as it comes raw and unpasteurized? How do we treat her now? We are stopping the cow milk from today fearing any further health issues.

#

• Unpasteurized milk is not advisable to be given, as pasteurization is required to kill all the bacteria or germs in the milk.
  • I think the baby does have some issues with cow milk and is crying due to colic (abdominal pain).
  • Formula milk (any stage 3) is always better than cow milk as its composition is matched with that of breast milk so that it can be digested easily. Also, it is supplemented with all the vitamins, iron, calcium and other minerals required for growth. However please continue breastfeeding also.
  • Her weight is slightly less. You can discuss with your pediatrician about it so that if required, some supplements can be given or blood test taken.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|