Q. My newborn poops once in a couple of days. Should I start giving Enterogermina?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

My baby was born prematurely at 34 weeks. He went through phototherapy for jaundice treatment in his first week of birth for three days. He had lost weight after four days of his birth. Born weight 2 kg. He is one month old and has gained up to 3.30 kg when I last checked before six days. He does not defecate for two to three days, but his stools are soft. He makes straining noise all time and gets irritated, and cries. This started between the 4th to 5th week of his birth, and medicines like Colicaid and Protectis oral drops were started before five days by a pediatrician. He is taking Colicaid oral drops for the past four days, but no good results, so the doctor asked to take Enterogermina for 5 ml for five days. I want to know if it is used for gassy baby treatment and help him to cure. He is also taking Protectis Ossopan D, Depura 60k nano Vitamin D drops. He is quiet only when I give him Colicaid, and after few hours, he starts straining again. Should I start giving Enterogermina or not?

#

Please note that it is normal for children below six months to pass stools 10 to 20 times a day or once in two to three days. Both are fine and are not labeled as constipation or diarrhea. Therefore, no treatment is required in such cases. Treatment is only required when there is documented fever, lethargy, or refusal to feed.

Regarding the noises being made and the intermittent crying and irritability, this is typical of reflux which is common in preterms. Treatment consists of using a reflux pillow with syrup Perinorm (Metoclopramide 5 mg) for seven days and syrup Aciloc Only (Ranitidine 25 mg) for 14 days. Unless there is poor weight gain, there is no need to start treatment.

Giving Enterogermina and Colicaid is harmless, but I still do not feel the need to do anything if the child is gaining weight.

|