Q. My newborn poops once in a couple of days. Should I start giving Enterogermina?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
My baby was born premature at 34 weeks now he is 1 month old and weighing +3kg. He doesn't poops until 2 to 3 days but stools are soft. He keeps making straining noise all time and gets irritated and cries. He is taking colicaid since 4days but yet no good result so doctor asked to take enterogermina for 5days 5ml. I want to know is it used for gassy baby treatment and will it help him getting cured. He is also taking Protectis. He is quiet only when i give him colicaid and after few hours he starts straining again. Should i start giving Enterogermina or not?
# Please note that it is normal for children below the age of 6 months to pass stools wither 10 to 20 times a day or once in 2 to 3 days. Both are fine and is not labelled as constipation or diarrhoea. No treatment is required in such cases. Treatment is only required when there is documented fever,  lethargy or refusal to feed.

As regards to the noises being made and the intermittent crying and irritability, this is typical of reflux which is common in preterms. Treatment consists of using a reflux pillow with syrup perinorm for 7 days and syrup aciloc only for 14 days. Unless there is poor weight gain, there is no need to start treatment.

Giving enterogermina and colicaid is harmless but i still do not feel the need to do anything if the child is gaining weight.

| 

Why is 2 months old baby having decreased urine?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having two months old baby. Since two days I am observing that his diapers are not wet and heavy as they used to be. So I checked his urine output by laying him down without a diaper for five hours and fed him twice with two and a half hours gap between each feed. He peed thrice aft...  Read Full »

My 7 year old has fever, loose motion and vomiting. Please advise medicines.

Query: Hello doctor, My 7 and a half year old son is suffering from fever (100+), loose motions and vomiting, headache, backache. He still uses a bottle for milk and once in six months we have to face this situation. Now, we firmly decided to discontinue feeding him by a bottle. Please advise medicines. H...  Read Full »

My twin babies motion color is eiether dark green or yellowish green. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have twin babies with one boy and one girl. They are four months old now. Breast milk is very low for them. So we are using formula. During the first two months, we used Simyl LBW and Lactodex LBW. Then the doctor told us to use Dexolac 1 powder. Now, my babies motion is in dark green ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»