Q. What are the ways to control diarrhea in a baby?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My baby girl is 7.5 months old and suffering from diarrhea since yesterday. Diarrhea: six episodes yesterday, two times in the night, once in the morning also puked out once in the morning. Gave Enterogermina twice yesterday and did not get any control yet. Please suggest medicine and also diet.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please continue Enterogermina as going on. Also, give syrup Ondem for vomiting on SOS basis (as per the weight of the child). It is very important to maintain hydration of the child by giving ORS (as per the weight of the child) with each loose stool.

It is not advised to use any medications that stop the loose motions immediately in such a small child due to the risk of widespread infection. Give the child the above medications and you should see results in 3 to 4 days. Till then watch for dehydration, lethargy and refusal to feed. If at any point of time you feel the child is dehydrated, please get the child evaluated physically by a pediatrician.

| 

My 7 months old baby passes loose stools 5 to 6 times a day. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 7 months and 10 days old and initially, he was suffering from a runny nose, two weeks back. This week, he has loose motions, and he passes stools 5 to 6 times a day. We consulted a doctor, who gave him Sporlac and Zinc dry powder suspension. He is now pooping 2 to 3 times out ...  Read Full »

My 7 year old has fever, loose motion and vomiting. Please advise medicines.

Query: Hello doctor, My 7 and a half year old son is suffering from fever (100+), loose motions and vomiting, headache, backache. He still uses a bottle for milk and once in six months we have to face this situation. Now, we firmly decided to discontinue feeding him by a bottle. Please advise medicines. H...  Read Full »

Cow's milk does not seem to suit my 1 year old baby. What can I give her instead?

Query: Hello doctor, Our baby girl is about 1 year and one month old. We just started giving cow milk two days back. A packet of A2 unpasteurized milk was bought, boiled and cooled down. We gave about 300 ml per day once. Her motion looks affected a little. It is not solid. At night, she suddenly started c...  Read Full »