Q. My mother is suffering from severe back pain and upper foot pain. Please advice.

Dr. Maan Singh Dhanjal Dc

My mother has pain in lower back joints, and upper foot, earlier she has felt current in the left arm. Pain is severe. Please suggest medicine. MRI reports show nerve root pressing. She used to take calcium 500 mg. Should she continue calcium?

#

After taking a look at the MRI reports that you have posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it looks like your mother has moderate arthritis in her cervical spine and lumbar spine, which is starting to cause nerve compression. Ibuprofen 600 mg and Baclofen 10 mg, once in the morning and once in the evening is the typical initial starting point to help with some of the symptoms. This will provide short-term management of her condition.

Typically that is recommended for about four to six weeks. Once she starts that regiment, she should also start physiotherapy. That will begin to properly rehabilitate the spine and allow for proper motion to occur. Physiotherapy is typically recommended at a frequency of three times a week for six weeks. And it is then reducing the frequency for two times a week for another four weeks.

Prognosis varies depending on other comorbidities and how well your mother tolerates treatment. If we are looking at a co-treatment, she should also do a low sugar and low carbohydrate diet. And a menu filled with good protein and vegetables. If she is overweight, she should lose some weight. All of what I have mentioned the need to be done with patience, consistency, and monitoring from a health professional. Proper rehabilitation can take up to six months and can vary from patient to patient.

|