Q. My mother is suffering from severe back pain and upper foot pain. Please advice.

Dr. Maan Singh Dhanjal Dc
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 21, 2019

My mother has pain in lower back joints, and upper foot, earlier she has felt current in the left arm. Pain is severe. Please suggest medicine. MRI reports show nerve root pressing. She used to take calcium 500 mg. Should she continue calcium?

#

After taking a look at the MRI reports that you have posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it looks like your mother has moderate arthritis in her cervical spine and lumbar spine, which is starting to cause nerve compression. Ibuprofen 600 mg and Baclofen 10 mg, once in the morning and once in the evening is the typical initial starting point to help with some of the symptoms. This will provide short-term management of her condition.

Typically that is recommended for about four to six weeks. Once she starts that regiment, she should also start physiotherapy. That will begin to properly rehabilitate the spine and allow for proper motion to occur. Physiotherapy is typically recommended at a frequency of three times a week for six weeks. And it is then reducing the frequency for two times a week for another four weeks.

Prognosis varies depending on other comorbidities and how well your mother tolerates treatment. If we are looking at a co-treatment, she should also do a low sugar and low carbohydrate diet. And a menu filled with good protein and vegetables. If she is overweight, she should lose some weight. All of what I have mentioned the need to be done with patience, consistency, and monitoring from a health professional. Proper rehabilitation can take up to six months and can vary from patient to patient.

Is it safe to take Mobizox for foot pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother, who is 36 years old, has a lot of pain in the ball of right foot. It is like a sharp pain both on the foot as well as in the toes. He is overweight with 98 kg and he is of height 5 feet 7 inches. He is taking NAC 75 painkiller. But, the pain comes back once he stops eat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gout is a condition with elevated uric acid levels. It commonly affects great toe rather than ball of foot. Is your brother's great toe swollen along with the pain in the ball of the toe? How long he has been suffering from the pain? Since when he is aware of his uric ...  Read Full

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar smell. Flagyl (Met...  Read Full

Please help me with my left foot pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from left foot pain, as I fell from my two-wheeler. I consulted a doctor and got an x-ray, and he said it's Achilles tendon rupture and tibialis anterior tendonitis. He gave me tablets for five days. But the pain is still there when I walk.  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.If I agree with his diagnosis, as I have not seen the x-rays, then I will suggest you try taking the following:Tablet Piroxicam 20 mg, twice daily after food.Tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg, twice daily for 10 days before food.Tablet Shelcal (Calcium) 500 mg, twice daily for 30 da...  Read Full

Ask a Chiropractor Now