Q. I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

I am having spasms in my hand. I had it briefly in the left hand and then, my right arm was feeling numb. This morning my right hand has spasms on all fingers at different occasions with some pins and needle feeling. Please help.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

• Please consult your GP to get an MRI of the neck.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Could this have been caused by a minor neck injury that I had at football? I am petrified that it is MND, ALS or Parkinson's.

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

• Spasms and pins and needle sensations are not features of MND (motor neuron disease), ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) or Parkinson's disease.
  • They indicate that there is probably nerve or spinal cord compression from spondylitis or disc prolapse. Sensory loss is not seen in MND, ALS or Parkinson's disease.
  • Yes, football might have aggravated it by increasing the stress on the cervical spine.
  • An MRI of the cervical spine will help us understand the cause of symptoms. If the MRI is not conclusive, then an ENMG test (electroneuromyography) needs to be done.

Revert back with an MRI to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Thank you for the prompt reply and reassuring message. I also have slight numbness on the right side of my face and bottom right eyelid. There is no twitching. My shoulders (mainly right side) are very stiff and sensitive. How do I go about getting an MRI or ENMG test done?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

• Spasm and numbness of one half of the face put the pathology within the brain or at the craniovertebral junction.
  • You need to consult your GP first. He will examine you to see whether you really have numbness and sensory loss in the face and in the arms as described by you.
  • If you do have numbness if the face and arms, you will need to do an MRI of the brain and cervical spine to look for conditions that could have caused this.
  • Your GP will refer you to a specialist either a neurologist or a neurosurgeon, who will also examine you and ask for an MRI and ENMG.

| 

This is sounding more serious again. Although the right side of the face feels numb, I have movement in it and feeling. Today, my GP is unavailable. This entire situation is dominating my thoughts and I am suffering with anxiety as a result. Is there someone I could visit to get that checked?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

• I am sorry if I made you anxious. You may visit the nearest A and E (accident and emergency department) and get yourself examined.
  • The ER physicians will also be able to distinguish if you need some sort of imaging on an emergency basis or you can consult your GP later during the week.
  • From what I gather, it is not an emergency. I would, however, advise you to visit the nearest ER to make sure you can wait to see the GP later in the week.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

I was already very anxious. Just to clarify, can I worry less about MND, ALS and Parkinson's?

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar

Neuro Surgery Neurology
#

• You should visit the A and E if you are very anxious and want to get it out of your mind that this is not an emergency.
  • And, I believe that it is highly unlikely that you have MND, ALS or Parkinson's disease.

| 

There is a white mass above my teeth in MRI. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a brain MRI nine months ago. The report came back completely normal. I decided to look at the images last night and I noticed this bright white mass above my teeth. Either the mass is near my teeth or in my sinuses. I am worried that I have a tumor growing and it was looked over...  Read Full »

Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I was seen in the hospital by a CDC doctor and was told I needed to see him a month after I got out of the hospital. I saw him and asked him what I had, and got no answer what so ev...  Read Full »

What does positive Hoffman's sign mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I was previously diagnosed with essential tremor, for which I have been taking Propanolol 160 mg for six years. My current symptoms are constant tingling, soreness, and restlessness of the legs. I get spasms in the legs as well as arms. My right eye goes blur...  Read Full »