Q. Why do I get back pain only when I put on weight?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 03, 2020

I am a 31 year old male and single. I am getting pain on my back in recent days. I used to maintain my weight around 70 kg to 75 kg. Recently, after my kidney stone surgery my weight increased up to 80 kg. After an increase in weight, I started getting back pain when I walk for more than 5 minutes and when I try to do some exercises or if I do any activities at home. A few years back, I also faced the same issue as I gained weight and later I worked out to reduce. But, this time it seems too worse. Please suggest me how to avoid this back pain and why I am getting pain when body weight is increased. There is only increasing in belly fat and the pain is like back bone gets very tight and not able to move or keep another step. Please help.

#

• With an increase in weight there is increased strain on the lower back. This effect is further accentuated by the abdominal type of obesity.
  • You should change your working posture and adopt a healthy posture. If your occupation involves lifting heavy weights, then change in the method of lifting weights is recommended.
  • Lower back strengthening exercises should be done on a regular basis.
  • Clinical and radiological examination are recommended to look for signs of any underlying pathology.

For further doubts consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|