A person is considered obese when their body mass index (BMI) is more than 30 kg/m2. BMI is calculated by dividing your weight by the square of your height in meters. Obesity is caused due to lack of physical activity, overeating, hormonal disturbances, genetic susceptibility, certain medications, or some psychological illness.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Can I gain weight due to low levels of testosterone?

Query: Hello doctor, My current weight is 92 kg, and my height is 5 feet 8 inches. I have a regular weight gain problem. In the past, I have got done tests like thyroid, testosterone, and cortisol. Please advise if any other test can be done to diagnose a problem. I have a very strict diet and exercise....  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. If obesity runs in your family, then that might have influenced your weight gain. Such weight gain is genetic and therefore if your parents and relatives have a tendency of obesity then it is ge...  Read Full »

I have obesity, hypertension, and heaviness in my chest. Can it be due to left atrium enlargement?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night I went to the emergency room because of ongoing chest pressure. The doctor said my ECG was perfect, my chest X-rays were clear, and all my blood work was fine. However, on reviewing when I got home, I saw probable left atrium enlargement. I have severe health anxiety, and my...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I have seen the attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) reports. In my opinion, too, your ECG (electrocardiogram) is fine. Machine-generated reports are frequently inaccurate. With age and being overweight, some amount of left atrial enla...  Read Full »

Routine echo shows moderate pulmonary hypertension. What does it mean?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a routine echo done a couple of weeks ago and just got the results yesterday. The sheet says moderate pulmonary hypertension with peak pressure 54 mmHg and central venous pressure of 15.0. Since I only picked up the results no one explained it to me but set up an appointment with ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This means pressure in the pulmonary circulation has increased likely due to lung problem (if echo is not showing any abnormalities other than this). Likely this is related to obesity although we need to rule out other causes of pulmonary hypertension by doing CT sca...  Read Full »

Do I have delusion disorder or paranoid schizophrenia?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to know whether my disease is delusion disorder or paranoid schizophrenia. I have been taking Risperidone 2 mg for 16 years, Escitalopram 10 mg for 7 years and for hypertension Met XL 25 mg for 5 years. My cholesterol levels are normal. I am a pure vegetarian. I do not smoke....  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasan Vazhoor Ramsingh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your mental state, but at the same time I do appreciate you for being on regular medicines. However, even though your question is very direct, I am sorry to say that I cannot give you a straight forward answer or diagnosis. First and most impor...  Read Full »

I get back pain only when I gain weight. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male and single. I am getting pain on my back in recent days. I used to maintain my weight around 70 kg to 75 kg. Recently, after my kidney stone surgery my weight increased up to 80 kg. After an increase in weight, I started getting back pain when I walk for more th...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With an increase in weight there is increased strain on the lower back. This effect is further accentuated by the abdominal type of obesity. You should change your working posture and adopt a healthy posture. If your occupation involves lifting heavy weights, then ...  Read Full »

Do I need surgery for removal of gallstone?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 7 mm gallstone as seen in my ultrasound. They gave me Ranitidine, and I tried apple cider vinegar with fresh apples. Do I need surgery?  Read Full »

Dr. Erfana Malik

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for sharing your concern. Well, medicines and lithotripsy can be tried for gallstones, but the definite treatment is surgery. Nowadays, the latest research advocates the removal of gallbladder for stones even if the patient has no symptoms. This is...  Read Full »

I am a 33-year-old obese female who underwent a cystectomy, but a cyst has formed on the same side even after taking medications. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female and have obesity. My weight is 103 kg, and my height is 167 cm. My period is always irregular because of my weight. Last year, I had a cyst that required a surgery to remove the cyst. After that, I had regular checkups with my doctor. As my period was irregula...  Read Full »

Dr. Manwani Saloni Dilip

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern about recurring ovarian cysts. From the history you provided, the cystectomy was done last year, and you have taken the pills recently for three months. The cyst could have grown when you were not taking the tablet Yasmin but must not ha...  Read Full »

Patient has excreting problem. Is it a fissure and does it need surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother is 38 years old and he is obese. His weight is more than 150 kg. He has been found with liver cirrhosis few years back and he has taken medicine for that and all went normally. Later, he found with balanitis but after medicine he was normal. At present, he used to drink but ...  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif. M

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could find three issues with your brother. They are obesity, cirrhosis, and fissure. All these are related. He needs to lose weight. He has to be motivated with regular physical activity, modified diet and restrict fluid to 2 liters a day. Regarding cirrhosis, he need...  Read Full »

Is my cortisol levels considerably high for stress?

Query: Hi doctor, I am wondering about my cortisol levels because my last 2 AM cortisol levels were 998 nmol/L and 838 nmol/L (reference range is 125 to 536 nmol/L), and PM (Post meridiem) cortisol level was 371 nmol/L (reference range 50 to 300 nmol/L). My 24-hour urine-free cortisol was in the normal ran...  Read Full »

Dr. Thiyagarajan. T

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Some of the symptoms of hypercortisolism can overlap with neuropsychiatric conditions, including depression, stress, and obesity. The laboratories can also be misleading. Having said that, if you have symptoms and strong clinical suspicion, we should proceed with more ...  Read Full »

I am 18 years old. Why do I have high blood pressure?

Query: Hello doctor,My blood pressure is 150/90 mmHg and my age is 18 years and there is a pain in the neck and at the top of the head. Please help me. Currently, I am taking Arbitel 250.  Read Full »

Dr. Idowu Olalekan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I noticed that you have grade 1 obesity (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You will need to give more history, for example, do you have a family history of hypertension. The neck swelling needs to be evaluated to rule out a thyrotoxicosis.   Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.