Q. What is the role of boric acid suppositories in bacterial vaginosis?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2019

How do boric acid suppositories work for bacterial vaginosis?

1. What do boric acid suppositories do?

2. Do you recommend them to your patients?

3. At what point do you advise your patients to use them?

4. What are the certain brands you recommend?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

1. Boric acid is cheap medicine, which was used before as vaginal suppository for 10 to 14 days for chronic candidiasis.

2. Mostly it is given along with antibiotics or over the treatment can increase resistance or damage normal flora that increases risk of infection more.

3. Mostly given to patients with chronic infections.

4. Boric acid acts by making the vagina more acidic, but it is useful in chronic infection.

5. It can give burning and vaginal discharge.

6. Some physician used it with Metronidazole three days suppository continuous, and then once a week for a few weeks.

7. I used to advice hygienic precautions, use of condoms at sex to avoid transmission of sexually transmitted disease, soft, comfortable undergarments, sitz baths recurrently in a day, avoiding overtreatment, avoiding local cosmetics, use of water and soft razor (to remove hairs) only, etc.

8. I am recommending complete treatment of any health issue that patient have like diabetes as these also increase chances of infection.

9. I used to give Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily and Metronidazole 400 mg 8 hourly for 10 to 14 days along with Canesten vaginal pessary (Clotrimazole) on two alternate nights.

10. So I rarely recommend my patient boric acid as it is not useful for the patient with first time felt infection.

|