HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologybacterial vaginosisMy vaginal discharge cleared with antibiotics. Is it an STI?

Have taken Flagyl for Bacterial Vaginosis, Still have some itching. Why?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 18, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 20, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 35-year-old female. I had vaginal discharge. When I took Flagyl for BV, it cleared. So, I do not think it as an STI. Am I right?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Bacterial vaginosis can occur with or without intercourse and is not considered as STI (sexually transmitted infection). As your bacterial vaginosis got cleared with Flagyl (Metronidazole), you are fine.

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

The odor and discharge have cleared, but I still have some itching. Can this be a side effect of Flagyl? I have been out of mind with worry as it may be herpes because there is a little bit of redness.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  1. Finish the course of Flagyl for five to seven days. Do not use any douche.
  2. I suggest you take probiotics and apply antifungal cream as sometimes super imposed infection occurs.
  3. If you do not get better, then will need a medical check.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy