Q. What are the ways to cure gum disease and bad breath?

Dr. Alka
Published on Jan 06, 2020

I have a very personal and sensitive issue. I have horrible breath. I do have gum disease but my cleaning which consists of flossing several times a day, using a miniature brush to brush between teeth, and using tongue scrapper several times a day (I occasionally oil pull as well). Can part of my issue be due to a deficiency of some sort? Any kind of advice would sincerely be appreciated (this issue is significantly affecting my life).

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query. See the main cause behind bad odor from mouth is due to bacteria present in mouth. There are present several bacteria in our mouth. The bacteria when come in contact with food particles release sulfur compounds which ultimately cause bad breath. Also, you have been suffering from gum disease which exaggerate this problem. Along with all your oral hygiene measures and treatment add these measures in your daily regimen and these will help you a lot. After every meal chew some roasted fennel seeds. They will freshen your breath. You can also chew fennel seeds and rinse together.

To increase good bacteria take one serving of curd once a day preferably in the morning or afternoon. You can opt out for fat free curd if you do not want to go for curd made from full fat milk. You can also chew fresh parsley leaves after meal to combat bad breath. Apples, pine apple, orange and free tea also helpful in reducing bad breath, so you can also add all these in your food regimen. They will help you in combat bad breath. You can also use this home made mouth wash three to four times in a week. Take two teaspoons of baking soda and add it in a cup of lukewarm water. Mix it well. swish it around for some time and then spit it out. It is also useful in your problem and easy to do. Whenever you are going outside or in a meeting keep some chewing gums along with you which have peppermint, zinc, etc., as their ingredient. They quickly freshen your breath in a few seconds.

Avoid alcohol, cold drinks, onion, garlic, and smoking if you do. Because all these things increase the problem of bad breath. Drink plenty of water. Because it is helpful in flushing out your mouth. Change your toothbrush very often. Basil, cilantro and mint are also helpful in neutralizing your bad odor from mouth. You can also chew them after meal. These plants are easy to grow at home. So you can grow them at home, and use easily. Cardamom, cloves and cinnamon are some commonly available spices and you can keep them in your mouth and chew them slowly. They are also helpful in reducing bad breath.

| 

I am having bleeding for over 24 hours after wisdom tooth removal. Is it normal?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got my wisdom teeth out yesterday and they have been bleeding for over 24 hours. Is this normal?  Read Full »

Is Sensodyne suggested for bad breath and yellow teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem with breath odor and yellowish teeth. How to solve this problem? Can I use Sensodyne toothpaste?  Read Full »

After wisdom tooth extraction, when can I start eating solid food?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my bottom left wisdom tooth removed yesterday. I am 25 years old and 11 weeks pregnant. I have been eating soft foods like mashed potatoes, jello, and pudding. However, I was wondering when I can begin to eat foods such as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cereals, pasta, etc.  Read Full »

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now