Q. Does redness along the gums indicate any gum disease?

Dr. Shamaz Mohamed
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 26, 2022

I am a 49-year-old female weighing 79 kg and 165 cm. I have gum disease, and I attend the dentist every three months for a clean in the hope of stabilizing my gums. My gums can appear red, and I have noticed redness adjacent to my missing back tooth. I have redness along my gums which has been a long-term issue. Perhaps it has been there for some time. Would it be gum disease? I had an infected abscess in that spot two years ago. I have attached photos.

#

I feel the gum disease has caused a periodontal abscess.

It is an infection with a collection of pus around gum tissues.

You need to show it to a dentist and get it treated.

Along with periodontal therapy, the dentist may prescribe you antibiotics.

Your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are not clear.

You may also try to send me better snaps for clarity in diagnosis.

Scaling and root planning need to be done with antibiotics.

Thank you, doctor,

It is quite tricky to take photos of this area. Will try again.

#

I am sure this is a periodontal abscess in that area.

Kindly contact the dentist at your earliest and take treatment along with antibiotics.

Do salt water gargling using lukewarm water thrice until you see a dentist.

|