Q. I have a lump near vaginal entrance. Can this be bartholin's cyst?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

I have a lump near my vaginal entrance. I researched and it may be a bartholin cyst. It is not painful nor uncomfortable to do my daily activities. Can the lump go away on its own without treatment? What can I do to remove it? Is there anything I can do to avoid going into a gynecologist personally? I really wish I would not have to go to a doctor personally.

#

Thanks for the query. According to your description the lump you mentioned could be bartholin cyst as you are thinking. Usually it occurs due to the blockage of bartholin duct. Small cyst may not cause any problem but when a size increases or the cyst gets infected that can lead to formation of abscess, in that case you may experience pain and discomfort. As per as possible better to get examined by your gynecologist to find out the actual nature of the cyst.

Sometimes antibiotics are sufficient to decrease the size of the cyst. If it gets infected and increases in size you may need to go for minor surgical procedures like incision and Drainage or Marsupialization. If you want relief now before going to your doctor you can take sitz bath with lukewarm water and 10 to 15 ml of Betadine solution, twice a day with 10 minutes duration. This will help in reducing the pain and size of cyst. Take care.

|