Q. How to get rid of a Bartholin cyst?

Dr. Tinu Philip
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2021

I have a Bartholin cyst, and it has refused to go for over three months now. It is not itchy, sore, or painful either. It is there as a small ball, and I am annoyed due to it daily. I cannot go to the hospital because of the pandemic. Please help. What can I do to make it go away?

#

I hope you are doing well despite the chaos around you. Bartholin's cyst occurs because of the obstruction to the duct of the Bartholin's gland. It is similar to the acne happening on your face. As long as it is not tender, not painful, or discharging pus (when it is called a Bartholin's abscess), you can leave it in your present circumstances. Once the situation around you improves and you can visit a doctor, please see a gynecologist who will do surgery to remove it.

Meanwhile, if you develop any symptoms like pain or discharge, you need to take antibiotics. Do not be anxious about the cyst at this point. You can make sure your genital area hygiene is good, sexual activity is healthy, and do a sitz bath (sitting in a basin with lukewarm water) which will soothe the area. Do not use strong antiseptics, soaps to wash your genital area. I hope this helps.

|