Q. What causes gas with bloating in a paraplegic patient?

Dr. Asma Sajid

My husband is a complete SCI paraplegic, he is 28. He has been having severe stomach pains come and go for months and is not receiving any answers we were at the ER 3 times in a week, no results of infection, or constipation or anything seen in X-rays and cat scans, he gets very bloated and wakes up almost every morning with gas pains and has to make himself sick if he cannot burp them out, no fever but sometimes he will get the chills and sweats still without fever or temperature drop, he needs answers, it is very unbearable to him.

Dr. Asma Sajid

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read your query but as you have not mentioned how long ago the injury was sustained, I will presume it was not recent but the gas build is recent. If both are recent, you might want to look into the Bowel Program for SCI.

First, make sure his diet is not very high in sugars, vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, radishes etc to decrease methane production in the gut (the gas). Second, introducing suppositories or carminatives will help with passing wind. Tablet Motillium 10 mg thrice a day before meals promotes gut motility too. If it does not work, there are other drugs like Erythromycin (an antibiotic) available to promote gut motility, that should help with releasing gas. Have a look at his gall bladder too: sludge or sand and not just gallstones causes bloating/indigestion.

| 

What kind of diet should I follow for bloating and constipation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am addressing this query to you regarding a long battle with bloating and constipation. Before proceeding, I would like to emphasize that this is very important to me as I have undergone several tests and I have been advised to consult a dietician or nutritionist to follow up my sym...  Read Full »

Which formula milk shall I opt for my baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 5 months old. Since I had less milk, she was formula fed. But, she developed a gas problem. We keep on switching the brand of formula milk, but it did not suit her. Her doctor advised Colicaid, but she still has issues. Can you please advise which formula milk is good for ...  Read Full »

Why is there continuous release of gas from my stomach?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a gastric problem for the last one year. There is a continuous release of gas from my stomach. The stomach sort of puffs up all the time, gas production is in every 10 to 15 minutes and it goes out through the anus or mouth. After 10 to 15 minutes again I have the ...  Read Full »