Q. I passed hard stools in pellet form. I also have belly bloating and abdominal discomfort. Please advise.

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2018

• I have had lower left side abdominal discomfort for about 48 hours.
  • Along with this I passed hard stools in pellet form for about frequent 4-5 times a day.
  • I also have belly bloating and gas which gets better with rest.
  • I do not have fever, chills or severe pain.
  • Pain is mild and not continuous.
  • I do not experience nausea.
  • There are no changes in stool color, but consistency is smaller and harder than normal.
  • I have been drinking mineral water, but my water intake is very low and fibre intake also is very low.

Please advise.

#

Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.

From the available history it seems that you are having dehydration and because of dehydration your stools are not formed properly and you are passing small frequent hard stools. Because of your incomplete evacuation of stools you are having pain and abdominal discomfort.

I advise you to drink plenty of water (a minimum of two litres a day), eat more of fruits and vegetables and avoid non vegetarian food. For few days you can take syrup Lactulose 10mL twice a day. With this, your bowel movements will be normal.

Once stools are being evacuated properly your abdominal pain and discomfort will come down. If even after 2-3 days inspite of following the above advise your abdominal pain persists, then get an ultrasound abdomen scan done and revert back with the report.

For further follow up, consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|