Q. I have infection in my belly button with discharge. What should I do now?

Dr. Malvika Rao
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 29, 2020

I have a belly button or navel infection. A little bit of discharge comes out from my belly button sometimes for almost seven to eight months it becomes alright automatically and then again infected. I clean and take care of belly button it looks normal from outside but I think infected from inside because when sometimes I sit down or do something it irritates my belly button. What can I do now? And what is the problem with my belly button or navel?

Dr. Malvika Rao

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I get your suffering. Most probably the discharge you are experiencing is due to a bacterial infection. But there are a few other causes and to evaluate your condition properly the information you gave is not enough. So can you tell me the color, odor of the discharge? And along with it please provide me your past history of any chronic illness or any prior surgery plus can you explain about you having any symptoms other than discharge, such as pain, lump around the navel, swelling, any associated fever or any other symptom you are having at present.

For now, maintain hygiene properly and keep the affected area clean and dry. Also, hydrate yourself as much as possible.

Bacterial infection. Yeast infection. Cyst.

Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 1 gm twice per day for one week. If pain take Ibuprofen 600 mg as a painkiller.

|