Q. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fever went down with antibiotics can it be bacterial? I asked my treating doctor regarding this and he said it is bacterial? How did he know it?

#

• The only way to differentiate between viral and bacterial infection is to take a sample of the mucus generated and to culture it in order to identify the causative organism.
  • Your doctor must have anticipated that your infection as bacterial as you responded well to antibiotics.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|