Q. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
Published on Jan 13, 2017

I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fever went down with antibiotics can it be bacterial? I asked my treating doctor regarding this and he said it is bacterial? How did he know it?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

#

• The only way to differentiate between viral and bacterial infection is to take a sample of the mucus generated and to culture it in order to identify the causative organism.
  • Your doctor must have anticipated that your infection as bacterial as you responded well to antibiotics.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

Can a viral infection increase the ESR level?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old male. My recent blood report shows high ESR level (48 mm/hr). I am having a cough, fever, and a headache since eight days. The doctor told me that I have a viral infection, and has given me antibiotics and a cough syrup. Please guide.  Read Full »