Benign Childhood Epilepsy

What is the outlook for long term antiepileptic medications?

Query: Hello doctor, I have already put my query to a neurologist. Still, I would like to get opinion from you as well. My son is 3.5 years old. He has been diagnosed with benign childhood epilepsy. His MRI and CT were normal. There are epileptic form of discharge 8 Hz spikes from right occipital lobe. Us...  Read Full »

Dr. Parin Niranjanbhai Parmar

Paediatrician, Pediatric Allergy Asthma Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. I can understand your concern about long-term effects of antiepileptic medications. So, in reply to your query, I would like to make suggestions for your son as follows: Treatment of many types of childhood epilepsy requires long-term antiepilep...  Read Full »

For the diagnosis of epilepsy, is a PET scan mandatory?

Query: Hi doctor, My four year old son, weighing 16 kg is taking medicine for benign childhood epilepsy. Medicines he is taking are namely Topamac 100 mg a day in two divided doses and Lobazam 15 mg a day (5-0-10).  His MRI for epilepsy protocol is normal without abnormalities. I would like to know whethe...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Paediatrician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For benign childhood epilepsy (BCE) your child is on 6.25 mg/kg/day of tablet Topiramate (anticonvulsant) which is a medium dose and is fine. Side effect to look from Topamac is dehydration. For dehydration, he needs to drink at least 700-1000 mL water daily. He can...  Read Full »

How to treat headaches and backpain for epilepsy patient?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-year-old son has been complaining of headaches and back pain. He also has epilepsy and had two spinal taps. He has been diagnosed with epilepsy since he was two weeks old. In the past, he has been on Phenobarbital. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. When has this spinal tap been done? Are headaches and back pain post spinal tap? Lumbar puncture or spinal tap causes a headache and back pain in almost all kids. If the spinal tap was done due to a headache then it is to rule out meningitis. You can just ...  Read Full »

How can I prevent my childhood epilepsy from resurfacing?

Query: Hello doctor, I have epilepsy since childhood. It had disappeared for a while, but it has resurfaced now. My doctor has given me tablets of Lactum 500 mg and 250 mg. How can I prevent it? Are there any precautions? Please help me.  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. I am sorry to inform you that currently, medications are the only effective option to prevent further occurrence of seizures. I am glad to note that there is a response with medication. So, you need to follow the advic...  Read Full »

What is causing my brother's arachnoid cyst and epilepsy?

Query: Hello doctor,My 30 year old brother has an arachnoid cyst displacing his hypoglossal nerve. He has no tongue problems, but he has epilepsy since the last 10 years. If I send over his MRI report, can you tell me what causes his epilepsy? Thank you in advance for your time. Due to his new medicine Epi...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and reviewed the attached MRI report. As per the available MRI report, it appears that your brother suffered some ischemic (blood circulation related) damage during his early part of life, especially around his birth. It is possible that the same dam...  Read Full »