Q. How can headaches and back pain be treated in a young kid with epilepsy?

Dr. Simy Mathew
Published on Feb 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2018

My 3-year-old son has been complaining of headaches and back pain. He also has epilepsy and had two spinal taps. He has been diagnosed with epilepsy since he was two weeks old. In the past, he has been on Phenobarbital. Please help.

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrics
#

• When has this spinal tap been done?
  • Are headaches and back pain post spinal tap?

Lumbar puncture or spinal tap causes a headache and back pain in almost all kids. If the spinal tap was done due to a headache then it is to rule out meningitis. You can just give any painkiller for relief until the investigations are done. If it is persisting, the ENT (ear, nose, and throat) and ophthalmology opinions should also be taken regarding a headache. MRI of the brain would be recommended.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Understanding Low Back Pain

Article Overview: Low back pain is commonly found in young and school going individuals these days unlike it was believed as a disease of old age. So this is a small article giving a basic understanding of low back pain in the young hard working generation. Read Article

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Low back pain is the second most common ailment with common cold being the first. Previously, low back pain was considered age-related, that is, mostly seen in older individuals. So, it was considered a pain due to weak muscles and weak bones. But nowadays, back pain is quite common in the young pop...  Read Article

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full »

What is the outlook for long term antiepileptic medications?

Query: Hello doctor, I have already put my query to a neurologist. Still, I would like to get opinion from you as well. My son is 3.5 years old. He has been diagnosed with benign childhood epilepsy. His MRI and CT were normal. There are epileptic form of discharge 8 Hz spikes from right occipital lobe. Us...  Read Full »