Q. How can headaches and back pain be treated in a young kid with epilepsy?

Dr. Simy Mathew
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2018

My 3-year-old son has been complaining of headaches and back pain. He also has epilepsy and had two spinal taps. He has been diagnosed with epilepsy since he was two weeks old. In the past, he has been on Phenobarbital. Please help.

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrics
#

• When has this spinal tap been done?
  • Are headaches and back pain post spinal tap?

Lumbar puncture or spinal tap causes a headache and back pain in almost all kids. If the spinal tap was done due to a headache then it is to rule out meningitis. You can just give any painkiller for relief until the investigations are done. If it is persisting, the ENT (ear, nose, and throat) and ophthalmology opinions should also be taken regarding a headache. MRI of the brain would be recommended.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|