Q. Is PET scan necessary for epilepsy diagnosis?

Answered by Dr. Lalit Bansal and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan

Do you have a question on Epilepsy or Anti-epileptic Drugs? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My four year old son, weighing 16 kg is taking medicine for benign childhood epilepsy. Medicines he is taking are namely Topamac 100 mg a day in two divided doses and Lobazam 15 mg a day (5-0-10).  His MRI for epilepsy protocol is normal without abnormalities. I would like to know whether he is taking overdosed medication. Does anti-epileptic drug cause lot of side effect? Doctor suggested PET scan. Is PET scan required for epilepsy diagnosis? Please suggest.