Q. Husband has beta thalassemia trait and wife is not a carrier. Can there be safe pregnancy?

I have done a pre-marital test with a prospective groom and he has beta thalassemia trait and I am not a carrier. Is it safe for pregnancy and child? His hemoglobin count is 13.1 and HbA2 is 5. How safe is this for child's health?

#

Following is my opinion for your asked question. If you are not having beta thalassemia minor then no need to worry. Your future child can have thalassemia minor. But no need to worry for trait of thalassemia minor. Thalassemia major is the dangerous one in which life span is reduced. But as your report is normal as per history there is no chance of thalassemia major in your future child.

Looking at the report, If my child is similar beta thalassemia trait holder like father, it will not affect child's health or even my pregnancy right? Or should we take precaution?

#

If your child have beta thalassemia minor then nothing need to worry. Thalassemia minor patients do not need blood transfusion and life span is normal. So do not worry about that. Your child needs to investigate for beta thalassemia minor for her wife in future or else do not worry about it. Your pregnancy also will not be affected. There is no need for extra precaution.

|