Q. I have thalassemia minor. How to increase hemoglobin and decrease ferritin levels?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 76 year old male, who is 170 cm tall and weigh 68 kg. Presently I have anemia, and my hemoglobin is 9.6 g/dL. I also have high serum ferritin level of 1900 ng/mL. I have this problem for some time. Many years ago, I was diagnosed with thalassemia minor. I was feeling tired, and I had a headache in the right temple area more frequently for the past two years. At that time, I had high blood pressure of 160/80 mmHg and low testosterone of 4.6 ng/dL. My blood pressure was controlled by Losartan 50 mg and Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg. I am also taking Viagra. A year back, I also had platelets clumping. My doctor is considering iron chelating tablets. Will chelating tablets lower hemoglobin? I used to take iron supplements, but due to iron overload, I stopped taking them. What can be done to increase hemoglobin and lower serum ferritin? I am attaching all my blood reports.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

I have seen all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder characterized by abnormal hemoglobin production. I do not have to explain you much about thalassemia as your doctor might have told you the details and consequences about it.

Few symptoms and complications that you need to be aware of due to thalassemia are as follows:

1. Infection.
  2. Bone deformities.
  3. Congestive heart failure.
  4. Abnormal heart rhythms, etc.

Major complications that you need to consider is iron overload, which could either be due to recurrent blood transfusion or due to excess cell break down.

Comming to the weakness, it is generally due to low hemoglobin. Symptoms of anemia can result in feeling tired and pale skin. A decrease in the hemoglobin level was mainly due to blood transfusion. The patient can be on iron supplements, and it requires about two months on an average to improve hemoglobin level.

Ferritin is a protein that stores iron and releases it when the body needs it. It usually lives in the body’s cells, with very little circulating in the blood. Treatment will be based on patient's response, how the patient responds to the chelating agent, etc.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

I got myself tested as I had a blood transfusion before six years. Please explain my report.

Query: Hi doctor, I had myself tested because I have had a blood transfusion before six years and visit many hospitals for my job. I have no symptoms. I just went to the laboratory and did not understand my results. Can you interpret them for me? Also, can you explain the cut-off value? Thank you.  Read Full »

Is it too risky for me to marry someone with sickle cell trait if I have beta thalassemia trait?

Query: Hi doctor, I have beta thalassemia plus trait (AT+) and want to marry a man with sickle trait (AS). Please see the attached file of my beta thalassemia DNA genetics. Please give me the possibilities of our baby. I know there is a 25 % chance that the baby might have sickle beta plus thalassemia (ST...  Read Full »

How long does it take for hemoglobin to improve after blood transfusion?

Query: Hello doctor,I did my blood test. The hemoglobin is astonishingly low at 4.1. I did ferritin test and B12 test and the results are attached. Blood transfusion was done - one bottle. The hemoglobin increase to 5.5, but again reduced to 5.1. I have a fever on and off. What problem do I have? I am feel...  Read Full »