Beta Thalassemia

Is it too risky for me to marry someone with sickle cell trait if I have beta thalassemia trait?

Query: Hi doctor, I have beta thalassemia plus trait (AT+) and want to marry a man with sickle trait (AS). Please see the attached file of my beta thalassemia DNA genetics. Please give me the possibilities of our baby. I know there is a 25 % chance that the baby might have sickle beta plus thalassemia (ST...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Thalassemia and sickle cell anemia are autosomal recessive disorders. In your case, the child can be thalassemia sickle cell carrier (heterozygous). The presentation will be mild to moderate...  Read Full »

My son, 1 year and 6 months old, son has beta thalassemia intermedia. Please suggest diet to maintain his health.

Query: Hello doctor,My son is 1 and a half years old. A few months ago we came to know that his Hb is 4.3 and Hb F is 92 percent and that he has beta thalassemia intermedia. He was immediately transfused once. Now he is taking vitamin C, and Hydroxy and Folic acid and his Hb are 10.2. Please suggest some d...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your child is suffering from thalassemia intermedia, you should avoid giving iron rich food and food that leads to an increase in iron absorption.The foods which decrease its absorption are, (i) cereals and (ii) dairy products. The foods which increase the absorpt...  Read Full »

Is beta thalassemia trait a serious case?

Query: Hello doctor, Is beta thalassemia trait a serious case?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me explain you about beta thalassemia trait. It is good that you are aware of using online health portal. Beta thalassemia trait is the heterozygous condition and the patient can live a normal life. If nutrition is not maintained properly and if any unusual excess b...  Read Full »

Am I a beta-thalassemia carrier with the hemoglobin A2 level of 4.3?

Query: Hello doctor, I was just wondering for a second opinion on some results which I have received being 8+4 weeks pregnant. My FBC was normal but my hemoglobin A2 Level is 4.3 and it says the normal range is 1.5 to 3.6. But I just wanted to know if this definitely means I am a carrier of beta-thalassem...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your attached CBC report shows normal hemoglobin and MCV with RBC count is also within range (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have calculated Mentzer index as well which is also not in favor of thalassemia minor. Moreover, in the report, also it has b...  Read Full »

Is it fine to have itchy throat and stuffy nose after allogenic bone marrow transplant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old girl. I have been a patient of beta thalassemia major. Recently allogenic bone marrow transplant was conducted (70 days since transplant). Before this, I had no history of any allergy or rash or another disease other than thalassemia. Recently, I have felt itchy thr...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of upper respiratory tract infection, possibly allergic inflammation. I suggest you investigate with CBC for primary work up. Meanwhile, a decongestant can be prescribed for your symptoms. You can drink warm water that helps in the soothing ...  Read Full »

I am 6 months pregnant.I have beta thalassemia.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am 6 months pregnant. My hemoglobin level is 8.3g/dL and I have heterozygous state of beta thalassemia. My doctor has advised for blood transfusion. Please help.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iciniq.com.   The beta thalassemia carrier state, which results from heterozygosity for beta thalassemia, is clinically asymptomatic and is defined by specific hematological features. Considering that you are 6 months pregnant and your hemoglobin is 8.3 g/dL  indicates moderate a...  Read Full »

Is it rare to see sickle cell anemia and beta thalassemia together?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is 26 years old. He has sickle cell anemia and thalassemia together. His recent spleen health was good and the proportion of blood and iron was moderate. He does not need to increase the blood. Is it rare to see these two together? What is the average life expectancy of these p...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Patil

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description, your friend seems to be having sickle beta thalassemia. It is common to see both these diseases together in communities where both the diseases are prevailing. Actually, the severity of sickle cell disease comes down by elevation of HbF (fetal ...  Read Full »

What diet will you recommend for a beta major thalassemia patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter, who is 2.5 years old, is suffering from beta major thalassemia. From her 3 months of age, blood has been transfused either once in 30 or 45 days after checking the blood level. I would request you to kindly advise a good and healthy food diet. Is there any important daily die...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Thalassemia is a disease due to reduced globin production in the hemoglobin part of RBC (red blood cells). It is not due to nutritional deficiency, but due to inherited mutation abnormalities. Yes, nutrition requires improvem...  Read Full »

As me and my fiance are carrier of Hb E beta thalassemia, we need your valuable advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I found out that I am a carrier of Hb E beta thalassemia. The problem is that my fiance is also a carrier and he is carrying Hb E trait. We do not want to separate. If you can give us your valuable advice, then it will be a great pleasure for us.  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Patil

Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the information you provided, it seems that you has Hb E beta thalassemia trait and your fiance has only Hb E trait. If so, then the chance of having a child with severe thalassemia is less. But, if you both have same Hb E beta thalassemia trait, then there is a chan...  Read Full »

Is my friend's beta thalassemia screening test normal?

Query: Hello doctor, My cousin of 30 years old got tested for beta thalassemia screening test. He got the result as hemoglobin A2 is 2.8 %, hemoglobin F is 0.2 %, hemoglobin C, D and S are not detected. Is this normal or has any complication? Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: The beta thalassemia screening test appears to be normal. HbA2 levels (hemoglobin A2) are normally between 2-3.3% and HbF levels (fetal hemoglobin) are 0.1-1.2% for this age. Both are normal. The other hemoglobin type is HbA ...  Read Full »