Beta Thalassemia

Is it rare to see sickle cell anemia and beta thalassemia together?

Query: Hi doctor, My friend is 26 years old. He has sickle cell anemia and thalassemia together. His recent spleen health was good and the proportion of blood and iron was moderate. He does not need to increase the blood. Is it rare to see these two together? What is the average life expectancy of these p...  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Patil

Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your description, your friend seems to be having sickle beta thalassemia. It is common to see both these diseases together in communities where both the diseases are prevailing. Actually, the severity of sickle cell disease comes down by elevation of HbF (fetal ...  Read Full »

What precaution should I take to conceive if both the partners have beta thalassemia?

Query: Hello doctor, My HBA2 is 5.8 (beta-thalassemia trait) and my husband HBA2 is 4. We have a daughter whose HBA2 is 3.6 (delta beta thalassemia trait). We do not have any issues still now. We are planning for the second issue. Please suggest. What test required and how much safety is there?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are certainly having beta thalassemia minor. But your husband's HBA2 value is borderline. So to confirm the diagnosis of beta thalassemia minor of him by CBC (complete blood count), peripheral smear examination report, and genetic study in the good laboratory. ...  Read Full »

Can beta-thalassemia minor be treated?

Query: Hi doctor, One of my daughters has got beta thalassemia major and G6PD deficiency. Is there any treatment for her? Please advice.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Beta thalassemia major includes a hereditary disorder and is due to genetic deficiency of beta globin chains of hemoglobin. It is transfusion dependent anemia.Management of beta thalassemia major includesChronic transfusion to maintain hemoglobin at the range of 9-10 ...  Read Full »

Does the relationship DNA test get affected by beta-thalassemia minor?

Query: Hi doctor, I am beta thalassemia minor. If I go for a relationship DNA test with my son, will the DNA report be false due to this?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: No, relationship DNA test will not be affected. It is autosomal related. He may or may not be a carrier. DNA test will look at multiple patterns. If you want, you can go for DNA test. Being affected from thalassemia is not go...  Read Full »

Husband has beta thalassemia trait and wife is not a carrier. Is it safe for the baby?

Query: Hello doctor, I have done a pre-marital test with a prospective groom and he has beta thalassemia trait and I am not a carrier. Is it safe for pregnancy and child? His hemoglobin count is 13.1 and HbA2 is 5. How safe is this for child's health?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following is my opinion for your asked question. If you are not having beta thalassemia minor then no need to worry. Your future child can have thalassemia minor. But no need to worry for trait of thalassemia minor. Thalassemia major is the dangerous one in which lif...  Read Full »

Is it too risky for me to marry someone with sickle cell trait if I have beta thalassemia trait?

Query: Hi doctor, I have beta thalassemia plus trait (AT+) and want to marry a man with sickle trait (AS). Please see the attached file of my beta thalassemia DNA genetics. Please give me the possibilities of our baby. I know there is a 25 % chance that the baby might have sickle beta plus thalassemia (ST...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Thalassemia and sickle cell anemia are autosomal recessive disorders. In your case, the child can be thalassemia sickle cell carrier (heterozygous). The presentation will be mild to moderate...  Read Full »

My son, 1 year and 6 months old, son has beta thalassemia intermedia. Please suggest diet to maintain his health.

Query: Hello doctor,My son is 1 and a half years old. A few months ago we came to know that his Hb is 4.3 and Hb F is 92 percent and that he has beta thalassemia intermedia. He was immediately transfused once. Now he is taking vitamin C, and Hydroxy and Folic acid and his Hb are 10.2. Please suggest some d...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Modi

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your child is suffering from thalassemia intermedia, you should avoid giving iron rich food and food that leads to an increase in iron absorption.The foods which decrease its absorption are, (i) cereals and (ii) dairy products. The foods which increase the absorpt...  Read Full »

Is beta thalassemia trait a serious case?

Query: Hello doctor, Is beta thalassemia trait a serious case?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me explain you about beta thalassemia trait. It is good that you are aware of using online health portal. Beta thalassemia trait is the heterozygous condition and the patient can live a normal life. If nutrition is not maintained properly and if any unusual excess b...  Read Full »

Am I a beta-thalassemia carrier with the hemoglobin A2 level of 4.3?

Query: Hello doctor, I was just wondering for a second opinion on some results which I have received being 8+4 weeks pregnant. My FBC was normal but my hemoglobin A2 Level is 4.3 and it says the normal range is 1.5 to 3.6. But I just wanted to know if this definitely means I am a carrier of beta-thalassem...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your attached CBC report shows normal hemoglobin and MCV with RBC count is also within range (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have calculated Mentzer index as well which is also not in favor of thalassemia minor. Moreover, in the report, also it has b...  Read Full »

Is it fine to have itchy throat and stuffy nose after allogenic bone marrow transplant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old girl. I have been a patient of beta thalassemia major. Recently allogenic bone marrow transplant was conducted (70 days since transplant). Before this, I had no history of any allergy or rash or another disease other than thalassemia. Recently, I have felt itchy thr...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of upper respiratory tract infection, possibly allergic inflammation. I suggest you investigate with CBC for primary work up. Meanwhile, a decongestant can be prescribed for your symptoms. You can drink warm water that helps in the soothing ...  Read Full »