Biologic Drugs

I have ankylosing spondylitis. Shall I go for biologic Etanercept?

Query: Hello doctor,I have ankylosing spondylitis (HLA B27 positive) for the past 12 years and with pulmonary tuberculosis the very next year. And took medicine for nine months, and now I am daily taking Saaz, and I am going to plan for Biologics. The doctor suggested Etanercept 50 mg, but I am afraid of s...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to do Mantoux test and interferon gamma level before starting biologics because they can cause reactivation of tuberculosis if there is doubt you should receive the two drug ATT regimen (anti-tubercular treatment) before starting biologics that is recommend...  Read Full »

I have AS since 10 years. Please suggest better medicines.

Query: Hello doctor, I have suffered from AS since 10 years. I manage it by diet, walking, and a few simple exercises. But since three months, I am suffering from right leg pain with neck pain, right eye redness and pain (HLA-B27 positive) and getting some pain relief tablets along with B12 injections, an...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic problem and lifelong. However, treatment is very important because the fusion of joints may cause problems with the movements of the body. Redness of eye is called scleritis and can occur in AS. NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflamma...  Read Full »

My arthritic knee pain has worsened and there is edema of feet as well. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am regularly taking 6 oz of warm water with half a slice of a medium-sized lemon and one medium spoon of honey right in the morning for the last 15 days. Whatever be the benefits, I find my arthritic knee pains have slightly increased along with edema of both feet and ankles and pa...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have mentioned that you are suffering from ankylosing spondylitis (AS) with osteoarthritis. But, you have not mentioned which DMARD (disease-modifying antirheumatic drug) you are taking. Anyways, I would suggest the following. NSAIDS (non-...  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Xeljanz for rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, and my doctor advised to take Xeljanz, as it has no side effects. Is it true? It is very expensive. I want to take a second opinion on the medicine. How safe is it to take?  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is a very good option for rheumatoid arthritis. However, every medicine has its side effects. It is recommended to start with the time-tested DMARDs (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs) like Methotrexate and sometimes, even combination of DMARDs. If they fail...  Read Full »