Bipap

What is COVID-induced pneumonia?

Query: Hi doctor, Please tell me an opinion on the prognosis for a patient being treated for COVID-induced bilateral pneumonia. Also, kindly tell me if she is responding to the treatment well, and do we need to get her blood reports or X-rays checked?  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Jauhari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on the reports sent (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), my observations are 1) Initially, pneumonia was present in the lower zone in both the lungs. In the last X-ray, only the right lung is affected (although improved from earlier). ...  Read Full »

My mother spits back her oral feeds. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My mom has had issues with eating. She has a PEG tube, which was placed for this reason. She does not vomit the tube feeding, but she spits back up what she takes orally. Whatever food she takes, it comes back and is full of phlegm. She is an end stage COPD patient and BiPAP dependent. Wh...  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your mother's history, there are two different infections. They are Clostridium difficile infection and yeast infection. The site of yeast infection is not mentioned in the question, though esophageal yeast infection is common. C.difficile colitis can never be a...  Read Full »

How long should my mother stay on a ventilator?

Query: Hello doctor,My 98 year old mother is on a ventilator. Yesterday, they did a T-piece trial and for an hour everything looked good. But, the blood gases showed 61% Co2 and her last blood gas was 51% while on CPAP. They are going to do another test in a few days. The head RT said because of that Co2 s...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. It all depends on the primary cause leading her to a ventilator. In case it is an acute pneumonia or bronchitis, once the infection settles, then the pCo2 levels settle automatic and the lung function will improve. In fact, if she is conscious an...  Read Full »