Q. Can you suggest a medicine to control aggression in bipolar disorder?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 24, 2020

My mother has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and no medicine help with her aggression. She is currently on Zolam and Clonafit. I have also attached her other prescription reports for your reference. My mother beats and abuses our maid. She defecates in the room whenever she wants to punish us as well as the maid. She is more aggressive with females only. Can you suggest any other medicine to control her aggression?

#

I read your query and understood your concerns.

First of all I feel that she is developing dementia as defecating in the room is not a characteristic of bipolar disorder.

I understand she do it for punishing other family members and especially maid, but this is not something a person with clear bipolar disorder do.

For clarification I will request you to get CT scan or MRI brain of her mind and post a detailed follow up query.

I am sure that she is exhibiting signs of dementia, which includes forgetfulness, difficulty in keeping personal hygiene, agitation, difficulty in identifying time and place, especially during evening hours.

Regarding her aggression, considering the history of bipolar disorder and possibility of dementia I feel the following can be done:

• Consult her specialist doctor and get the dose of Quetiapine increased. As I can see from the previous prescription, she received only 75 to 100 mg of Quetiapine. This dose is not enough for any person with bipolar disorder.
  • The dose is generally 400 to 600 mg per day and I think the dose of Quetiapine can be increased to at least 200 mg to control her aggression.
  • The second alternative is lithium. Lithium is a proven agent for bipolar disorder and considering her age a dose of 600 to 900 mg can be used safely after getting the renal profile from your nearby laboratory.

Revert back with a detailed history to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|