Q. Kindly advice me on bipolar affective.

Dr. Krishan Kumar Sharma

I have been taking Zoloft 25 mg and Ativan 5 mg one or two tablets to one tablet prn which I rarely take for anxiety. I take Tapazol 2.5 mg for hyperthyroid, TUMS two or three a day, Pepcid AC, vitamin D, B12, and Ventolin inhaler. I have been taking Zoloft and Ativan for 24 years. Four Psychiatrists and three medical doctors approved Ativan when I was diagnosed with anxiety. I worked for a psychiatrist for years, and he said I was merely cyclothymic if anything and stress. What is bipolar affective?

#

Tell me one thing, since how long you have these thyroid nodules? Because some times symptoms of anxiety and restlessness might be due to hyperthyroid state. Is there any family history of any such kind of illness? Is there any change in functioning, sleep or appetite habit?

In cyclothymia, there is an alternative period of depression and mania, but none of them is in full symptomatology, which means your functioning is not affected, but you can have distinctive period of euphoria and depression. Take a healthy diet, avoid junk foods, have proper sleep, do moderate exercise, follow relaxation technique, yoga and meditation may help you.

I know the difference between anxiety and hyperthyroid. My TSH went to 0 six months before when I checked in the emergency room. I am quite normal. I rarely take Ativan now or in the past. Appetite and sleep all normal. No thought of harming self or others. What is bipolar affective? There is no history of mental illness in the family but only mild depression may be. And my grandmother had a goiter.

#

In bipolar affective disorder, there are two-phases manic and depressive. In a manic episode, there is a distinct period of elevated mood, distractibility, over-talkativeness, increased activity, decreased need for sleep, and high self-esteem for at least seven days. In depression low mood, sadness, decreased interest, fatigue, low concentration, the idea of self-harm, guilt and sleep problem for at least two weeks. To diagnose one with some bipolar, he should have these two.

While cyclothymia is a milder form of bipolar affective disorder having episodes of hypomania and mild depression for two years. I think in your case there were never manic symptoms presented, and it is unlikely to have bipolar or cyclothymia. One more fact is, there is a strong association between thyroid and depression or anxiety.

|