Q. I planned to have intercourse without condom. When should I start birth control pill to protect myself?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 29, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2019

My boyfriend and I are planning to have intercourse next month without a condom. Could you suggest which birth control pills I could use? When should I start having the pills? As it is a one-time activity (as he will be traveling abroad) how soon after the act can I discontinue the pills?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

In that case, plan to have sex during your safe period, which is between day one to ten of your periods. During the sustained period you need not use any medication or the contraceptive pill. There is no chance of pregnancy as there is no ovulation happening during this period. However, if you have a doubt, then get back to me.

The dates are fixed, and unfortunately, we cannot adjust our happy times during the first to the tenth day of my periods. Would you suggest the use of birth control pills? How soon after the act, can I discontinue the use of the pills?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You can use an emergency pill within 72 hours of intercourse there is no chance of pregnancy. If you want to use oral contraceptive pills, then start a 21-day pill from the third day of periods. However, if you have a doubt, then get back to me.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Hi dear,
You can get started with the pill immediately and take the complete course of 21 days.
However if you have a doubt then get back to me.
Take care
So I can discontinue after the 21days course, right?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Yes
Can you suggest which ocp should I opt for?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Take any combination ocp
I apologize if i'm being paranoid and repeating questions. But just to confirm, i'll be protected for 21days i.e the duration of the course, right?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Yes, undoubtedly
Hi, is there any serious side effect to the combination pills?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# No, you may have mild nausea.
There are no major side effects as such
I get my periods around the 15th of every month. If I start with the 21day course ocp, will my periods get delayed?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# You can experience a bit early or delayed periods because of the hormonal changes due to the pill you have taken

I have spotting while on Tri-Sprintec. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking the birth control pill, Tri-Sprintec for almost five years now. I started my new pack of pills on 19 of last month. I had intercourse twice on 20th and once on the 21st of last month. I used to take my pill between 7 and 8 AM. One day I had pill at 6:30 AM as I woke up ...  Read Full »

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »

What is Yasmin pill used for?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiancee and I had unprotected sex a few days back, but I did not ejaculate inside her. Just to be on the safer side, we wanted to use the emergency contraceptive pill. But due to some restriction in the country where we live, Plan B or emergency contraceptive pills are not available...  Read Full »