Q. Is it safe to take oral contraceptive pill?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Published on Nov 23, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My girlfriend had irregular periods and USG pelvis showed PCOD. So, she is taking COCP. In spite of taking the drug properly, she missed her period this month. Is anything wrong with her? What to do now? Does she need to continue the drug? Or should she stop it? I heard that COCP may cause cancer. Is COCP safe for her to use? How long she can use it? Or please prescribe a medication for her which she can continue safely to solve the problem of menstrual irregularity.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.

Combined oral contraceptive pill (COCP) is absolutely safe for her. It does not cause cancer (low dose COCP).

Just check the content of COCP which she is taking. If dose of Estrogen (Ethinyl estradiol) is 20 or 30 mcg, she can safely continue the medicine. In fact, COCP in such a case prevents endometrial cancer due to its progesterone content.

Regarding missed period, it normally does not happen with COCP. Normally period starts between 3 and 15 days of stopping the last tablet in the pack.

If it has been more than 15 days since last tablet, consult a gynecologist. If it has been less than 15 days, she can wait till 15 days from last pill for periods to come.

In any case, she cannot start next pack without having periods unless instructed by doctor after examination. Do not forget to tell her to use another form of contraception like condom if she is sexually active.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Ethinyl estradiol in her tablet is 20 mcg. Is there any serious problem? What are the complications we can expect in her case?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• There is no serious problem. But we need a detailed history and previous test reports including ultrasound report to tell the exact prognosis.
  • Estrogen given in dose of 20 mcg is safe and she can safely continue COCP.
  • Such irregular menses can happen in two cases, PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and POF (premature ovarian failure) or POI (primary ovarian insufficiency). As I do not know the exact diagnosis, it is difficult to tell about expected complications.
  • You can get back with previous investigation reports like ultrasound, hormone assays if done, for exact prognosis.

Revert back with the investigation reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Taking Contraceptive Pills Before And After Sex Avoid Pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full >>

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Theoretically abstinence is the only way to ensure that one does not get pregnant. However, practically speaking there are many ways to avoid pregnancy. It ranges from using condoms to contraceptive pills to intrauterine devices to achieve longer contraception. ...  Read Full

My pregnant test is negative but I miss my period. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOD, and I am planning to conceive. I am under Macfolate and Metformin tablets for the past seven months. I have regular periods for the past six months. This month, on the 11th day, I missed my period. After two days, when I checked for pregnancy, I got a negative result. Again ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may repeat the test in a week to rule out pregnancy, or you can do a serum beta hCG test. If the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU/ml, then you are not pregnant. The reasons are anovulatory cycles seen in PCOD, or you should get a semen analysis done once for your part...  Read Full

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not worry. Irregular periods are not an alarming thing to worry about. Irregular periods are due to stress and strain anxiety work pressure change of place change in climate low blood count thyroid disorders or uterine or ovarian problems. Please...  Read Full