Q. Is there any side effect free birth control pill?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2021

I was prescribed to have Levonorgestrel and it does not suit me. Therefore, Diane-35 was recommended. But, it has a high risk of blood clot. I would like to know a birth control pill that will not cause hair loss and is low on blood clot risk.

#

• If you are allergic to Levonorgestrel, which is a progesterone, then in that case if the risk of blood clot is to be avoided then pills are not recommended for you.
  • You should opt for a copper-T insertion as an IUCD (intrauterine contraceptive device). This is a non-hormonal contraceptive.
  • It is practically free from side effects of oral contraceptive pills like hair loss, weight gain and risk of blood clots.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I am not allergic to Levonorgestrel, but it leads to excessive hair fall after two months. I would prefer using hormonal pills.

#

• In that case, you should increase your water intake to 3 to 4 liters per day to avoid progestogenic side effects.
  • Femilon-21 would be best for you as it is a low dose oral contraceptive pill and free of many side effects. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

|