Q. Are hair fall and erectile dysfunction related?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am facing hair loss problem, drop in libido, and erectile dysfunction. I am not getting a morning erection for quite some time now. I am getting fat and feel lethargic after a workout. My total testosterone is 2.52 ng/mL or 252 ng/dL, and I took the test in the afternoon. Is it wise to take Nolvadex (Tamoxifen citrate) or Clomid (Clomifene citrate) to increase testosterone levels? I have heard that people often use this to increase their testosterone levels. Or should I take some testosterone steroids to boost the testosterone levels? If yes, then which compound of testosterone should I use? How long should I take it?

#

• I just read your query, and from what you have mentioned, it appears that you have erectile dysfunction. As you were perfectly normal before, it could be stress-induced.
  • I suggest that you do early morning serum testosterone levels for two days since this was done in the afternoon, it is less reliable in diagnosing your condition.
  • Also, I advise you to do serum prolactin, thyroid function test, LH (luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) levels.
  • In the meantime, I would advise you to try doing the following:
  1. Relax by meditating.
  2. Do regular exercises.
  3. Sleep well on time and for 7 to 8 hours.
  4. Try Sildenafil citrate 25 mg, as and when required. It is not to be used if you are on medication for cardiovascular disease or on alpha blockers. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicine after their consent.
  5. Try to repeat the test, and then we will see what we can do for you.

Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

I have already used Sildenafil citrate, and I tried taking it up to 100 mg. But, that did not work for me. I am facing hair fall and erectile dysfunction for many years. I do not have morning erections from almost a year. Are hair fall and ED related?

#

• You must then do the tests which I have mentioned and get back to me. Yes, hair loss and ED are related.
  • The treatment which you mentioned earlier, which you intend to take are for infertility only and not for ED. So, I suggest you do the tests asked by me and then get back to me.

Revert with more information to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|