Q. My 13 years old son is suffering from bleeding nose. Please help.

Dr. Nilotpal Dutta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

My son is 13 years old and he has bleeding nose problem. Kindly advice.

#

Bleeding at this age should be evaluated thoroughly there may be a lot of possibilities like a JNA (juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibromas), NPC ( nasopharyngeal carcinoma), nasal polyps hematological causes, etc. So an urgent diagnostic nasal endoscopy with a complete blood count should be done if there is persistent on and off bleeding (profuse) from the nostril. Also, take the history of any trauma to the nose.

I have attached his CT scan report.

#

It shows no abnormality as such (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but no mention of the septum is made, a septal deviation or a spur may also lead to bleeding. So a thorough evaluation with an ENT where a diagnostic nasal endoscopy is done should be carried out.

|