Q. Does nose bleeding occur after a septoplasty?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Last week, I have done a septoplasty and the dressing was taken out yesterday. Now my nose bleeds a lot the whole day and then it was normal. Today I woke up and there was a lot of blood in my nose and it was dry inside. Is it because I missed out taking the nasal spray while I was asleep or any other reason?

#

It is normal to have some bleeding after septoplasty operation. Subsequently, in the postoperative week, there occurs crusting and dryness due to the dried up blood clots and mucus.

In my set up, in addition to giving saline nasal drops or douching, we also give Mupirocin ointment to apply over the wound locally. In septoplasty operation, we cut the mucosa from inside and raise flaps and remove deviated part of the nasal septum. The area thereafter is prone to dryness and crusting which can be prevented by the ointment.

I advise that you start on an appropriate antibiotic ointment with nasal douching. Do the saline irrigation or drops first and then follow it up with ointment. If the saline irrigation is painful, you can insert a dab of Lignocaine jelly and wait for 10 minutes before doing the wash.

Hope you feel better soon. If there is any problem do not hesitate to contact us. Happy to help you.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|