Q. There is frequent nose bleeding without any reason. Is it normal?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

I would like to ask if the nose bleeding is normal? I mean the father's family are like this. They just get the nosebleeding out of the blue and so the child too, just a while ago. I am really worried about my nephew. Is this normal? Or something serious is going on? Please help me.

#

The one episode of nose bleed can be neglected. But if repeated nose bleeding occurs than it should be evaluated in detail. For that, his blood pressure should be checked and coagulation profile should be checked. You are giving a positive family history of nose bleed so further work up in form of PT (prothrombin time), APTT (activated partial thromboplastin time) test, CBC (complete blood count) and BT (bleeding time) testing are needed to rule out any coagulation problem, if present. Nose trauma is a common cause for nose bleeding. But excess bleed should be evaluated further. During bleeding episode, the nose should be pinched with index finger and thumb.

|