Q. Why am I having nosebleeds and dryness?

Published on May 28, 2018

I am a female, 22 years old, 110 pounds (50 kg), and height 160 cm. I rarely have nosebleeds, but I had one two days back and again this morning. It woke me up before work. The last lasted for 10 minutes (it seemed like a normal nosebleed). The one this morning lasted around 45 minutes and I have felt a trickle of blood going down my throat all day. I do feel dry (weather). I am not taking medications, except for iron pills (I have an iron deficiency).

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Mostly the bleeds are due to dryness. Since you have iron deficiency you must be more careful. To stop nosebleeds pinch the nose for three minutes gently so that it gets occluded. Apply ice packs in either side of nose while keeping your nose pinched. Elevate head end of bed in night while sleeping.

Check your vitals and BP (blood pressure) should not be high. To prevent this apply some lubricant cream inside the nose to keep it moist. Keep some steamer inside the room to produce enough moisture inside the room. If using air-conditioner keep the temperature at a moderate level like 23 to 26 degrees Celsius and make sure the air is not dry. It should be moist.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

How to manage nosebleed?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3 year old daughter has had three nosebleeds in about 3 hours. During the nosebleeds, she said her cheek bone area close to her nose hurts. What to do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Arti Sharma
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A few common causes of nasal bleeding are dry air, picking of the nose, rubbing, allergies, trauma to the head or nose and nose blowing. In your history I do not see any history suggestive of trauma or fall. Dry air or nasal picking is a possible cause. When a child ...  Read Full

Is frequent nose bleeding without any reason normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to ask if the nose bleeding is normal? I mean the father's family are like this. They just get the nosebleeding out of the blue and so the child too, just a while ago. I am really worried about my nephew. Is this normal? Or something serious is going on? Please help me.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The one episode of nose bleed can be neglected. But if repeated nose bleeding occurs than it should be evaluated in detail. For that, his blood pressure should be checked and coagulation profile should be checked. You are giving a positive family history of nose blee...  Read Full

What to Do If You or Your Child Suddenly Start Bleeding from the Nose?

Article Overview: Epistaxis is a common medical condition, bringing the patient to the ER. If the bleeding is profuse, it can be life-threatening. One needs to be aware of the causes and the immediate first-aid to be given in such cases. Read Article

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Epistaxis means bleeding from the nose. Nasal bleeding can occur due to various reasons. In a child with a habit of nose picking, it is not uncommon for the nose to bleed. An adolescent male bleeding profusely should be investigated to rule out a tumor called angiofibroma. In an elderly person, a r...  Read Article