Blocked Nose

Are nasal block and and continuous sneezing symptoms of allergic rhinits or nasal poyp?

Query: Hello doctor, My nose is blocked partly, one side is opened and the other side is blocked. It has been a long time like more than 10 years. When I consulted a doctor before they concluded that it is allergic rhinitis. I sneeze multiple times in one shot, like three to four times. When I consulted ...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let us look at your problems in a systematic way. Nose block on and off and on different sides each time sounds more like a rhinitis problem. If it were deviated nasal septum then the block will be predominantly on one side. Such a block will not be that easily relie...  Read Full »

Why does running nose, sneezing and blocked nose happen?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bad running nose, sneezing and blocked nose in the morning for the last ten days. I have taken Augmentin 375 for five days. It improved a bit but again relapsed today. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. Running nose can be due to upper respiratory tract infection. You can take tablet Allegra M (combination of Montelukast and Fexofenadine) twice daily for about three days. Warm water gargles ...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for intermittent fever, cough and blocked nose in a 5-year-old boy?

Query: Hello doctor, A 5-year-old boy has intermittent fever, muscle pain, cough, and blocked nose for the past four days. The temperature is shooting up during nights and is normal during the day time. The blood test results are: CPK 23056 U/L. SGOT 513 U/L. Leptospira IgM and dengue IgM tests in pro...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The reports and history are suggestive of some viral etiology probably, however, it is advisable to do a blood culture also to rule out bacterial etiology. In the meantime, I would advise starting Ceftriaxone to be on the safer side along with proper iv (intravenous)...  Read Full »

Kindly prescribe medicines for stuffy nose and cough in an infant.

Query: Hello doctor, My infant daughter who is 8 weeks old is having stuffy nose and cough since yesterday. Kindly advise us how to take care of her and prescribe medicines necessary for her to take. We are worrying especially of her cough.  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The child will have to be evaluated for reflux disease. It is a very common illness in this age group. Do not worry. The best way to control the coughing and the stuffy nose is to keep the baby at an angle of 30 to 40 degrees from ground level after feeding. You may als...  Read Full »

Will a prolonged nose block suspective of sinus problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem of nose block for the past one month and I suspect this as sinus. I have done a CT scan. Please advise on treatment.  Read Full »

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have allergic rhinitis along with a benign nasal polyp which is usually seen in patients with prolonged allergic rhinitis. You have also sinusitis associated with it. Polyps are usually removed surgically. I suggest taking Augmentin (Amoxycillin and Clavulanic ac...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for deviated nasal septum and sinusitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 23 years old daughter has been suffering from a blocked nose for the past three months. She took Sinarest and Cefixime antibiotics tablets, and Nasivion S drops. She has only temporary relief from nose block. So, we took a CT scan of PNS (paranasal sinuses) recently. Clinical findi...  Read Full »

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Deviation of the nasal septum has only surgical treatment. Sinusitis is an infection of sinuses present in our facial bones. Once it occurs, it can be treated with antibiotics decongestants and anti-inflammatory drugs. The blockage of nasal sinus opening is the most ...  Read Full »

Why is there no relief in chronic nasal congestion even after using medicine and sprays?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic nasal congestion for a longer period, roughly ten years. I got a blood test done before six years. Flagged for pteronyssinus *26.64kU/L* Class V and farinae Mite *18.76kU/L* and doctor prescribed Zyrtec. At first I will get mild relief and it will not last more than an...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello Tim The test says you are allergic to the two species of house dust mites. While it's true that you need antiallergic medicines, haven't you been explained about sufficient precautions to avoid allergies ? Allergen avoidance is the first and foremost technique to get rid of allergies. You mus...  Read Full »

Why does my head hurt when I blow my nose?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old female. My height is 167 cm and weight is 53 kg. I have had headaches and pain in the eyes for the last two days. My nose has been blocked for about a week now and every time I blow my nose, my head hurts a lot. It also hurts when I shake my head.   Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. I believe you are suffering from sinusitis. The drainage from the bony sinuses is blocked due to blockage of the nose and this is causing a headache. I suggest you consult an ENT (ear, nose and throat specialist), who will recommend an X-r...  Read Full »

What causes blood in mucus from nose?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36-year-old male smoker. I have mild hay fever but no other medical issues. For the last week, I have been waking up with a one-sided blocked nose and slight throat irritation. The side of the nose blocked changes, I think depending on which side I lay down on. I then blow my nose...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Answering your questions: If it were cancer then the block would always be there and that too on the same side or both side. Therewill not be any fluctuation or diurnal variation. It will always be the side where the cancer is. Symptoms, where you should be worr...  Read Full »

A small live ant has accidentally gone into my nose. Will it enter my brain or lungs?

Query: Hello doctor, A small live ant has accidentally gone into my nose. I tried to blow it out but not sure about it? Can it enter the brain or lungs? And lay eggs there? What are the symptoms?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ant, by all means, will be dead and blown out of your nasal airways because our nose has the following protective mechanisms. 1. Nasal vibrissae (small hairs) which block particles size of an ant. 2. Viscous secretions (mucus) upon which still smaller particles...  Read Full »