Q. Fiancee and I have the same blood group. Will it affect our married life?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

My fiancee and I have the same blood group. Will it affect our married life? I will be happy if you explain this to me.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

There is no harm in marrying a girl with the same blood group as you. Everyone is born with a certain blood type that is either Rh positive or Rh negative. Rh-positive blood is more common than Rh-negative. There is no problem if you marry a partner with the same blood type/grouping as yourself. When looking at a blood type, it is not the letter you should be concerned about, but the Rh factor (the positive or negative sign after your blood type letter, example: O + or O -).

A woman is at risk when she has a negative Rh factor (example: O-) and her partner has a positive Rh factor (example: O +). This combination can produce a child who is Rh positive. While the mother's and baby's blood systems are separate there are times when the blood from the baby can enter into the mother's system. This can cause the mother to create antibodies against the Rh factor, thus treating an Rh-positive baby like an intruder in her body. If this happens the mother is said to be sensitized.

A sensitized mother's body will make antibodies. These antibodies will then attack an Rh-positive baby's blood, causing it to break down the red blood cells of the baby and anemia will develop. In severe cases, this hemolytic disease can cause illness, brain damage, and even death. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Is it safe to use Rhogam shot? Does it cause any side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is pregnant. She is O negative, and she has a Jka antigen. They want to give her a Rhogam shot this weekend. I know it is a blood product. Is it safe?  Read Full »

Can same blood group of parents cause any problem to baby?

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife blood group are same A positive. And my wife is five months pregnant. I want to know that is there any problem with our baby?  Read Full »

Sickle Cell Disease - Screening and Marital Decisions

Article Overview: This article attempts to elaborate the situation of premarital couples who are concerned about their hemoglobin electrophoresis to predict their baby's genotypes with respect to the sickle cell disease. I picked this particular topic because a friend recently asked me what it meant for himself and his fiance to have sickle cell genotypes? On this article, I attempt to raise some clear points to address this issue and help patients reach an informed decision making, which will go a long way to help both their relationships and prevent giving birth to defective babies. Read Article

Dr. Nsah Bernard
Hematologist

Most couples during regular premarital consultations are concerned and anxious about sickle cell issue and often worried as to what the results mean, their implications on their relationship and especially their future babies. In premarital consultations, there are several other worrisome things to ...  Read Article