Q. Why am I getting blood while blowing nose?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

For the past five days, I have been having quite a bit of blood come up in my mucus when I blow my nose. My sinuses are sore and puffy. Today, my right cheek and right side of my nose have gone numb and tingling. Kindly help me.

Hematology Pathology
#

• According to the history provided and image provided, it is blood stained discharge with mucus. Hence, the possibility of acute sinusitis or rhinitis is present.
  • Your workup should be done as follow. Rhinoscopy nose examination, PNS x-ray (paranasal sinus), CBC (complete blood count) with platelet count, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), PT (prothrombin time) and APTT (activated partial thromboplastin time) if needed.
  • If inner nasal mucosa swollen and congestion present, then decongestant like Phenylephrine is used. If the inflammatory swelling is more, then a short course of steroid can be suggested.
  • According to the cause found on examination, the specific treatment is given. Consult otorhinolaryngologist for examination with keeping all this in mind.
  • Take one teaspoon turmeric powder and honey with milk daily.
  • If excess bleeding occurs from the nose in between, then pinch nose with thumb and index finger for 5 to 10 minutes, If bleeding is more from the nose, then the doctor might put nasal packing.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|