Q. Why am I getting blood while blowing nose?

Published on Mar 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

For the past five days, I have been having quite a bit of blood come up in my mucus when I blow my nose. My sinuses are sore and puffy. Today, my right cheek and right side of my nose have gone numb and tingling. Kindly help me.

Hematology Pathology
#

• According to the history provided and image provided, it is blood stained discharge with mucus. Hence, the possibility of acute sinusitis or rhinitis is present.
  • Your workup should be done as follow. Rhinoscopy nose examination, PNS x-ray (paranasal sinus), CBC (complete blood count) with platelet count, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), PT (prothrombin time) and APTT (activated partial thromboplastin time) if needed.
  • If inner nasal mucosa swollen and congestion present, then decongestant like Phenylephrine is used. If the inflammatory swelling is more, then a short course of steroid can be suggested.
  • According to the cause found on examination, the specific treatment is given. Consult otorhinolaryngologist for examination with keeping all this in mind.
  • Take one teaspoon turmeric powder and honey with milk daily.
  • If excess bleeding occurs from the nose in between, then pinch nose with thumb and index finger for 5 to 10 minutes, If bleeding is more from the nose, then the doctor might put nasal packing.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full »

Does nose bleeding occur after a septoplasty?

Query: Hello doctor, Last week, I have done a septoplasty and the dressing was taken out yesterday. Now my nose bleeds a lot the whole day and then it was normal. Today I woke up and there was a lot of blood in my nose and it was dry inside. Is it because I missed out taking the nasal spray while I was asl...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now