Q. Either MR angio or CT angio, which will show brain aneurysm clearly?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

Three months ago, I had an MRA of the brain as I have weird headaches that time. The result showed a little thing, which they thought could be a small aneurysm between 1 mm and 2 mm. But, they were not sure whether it is an aneurysm or anything on the arteries. So, they advised me to go for a CTA. My question is, which test would show it more clearly?

#

• CT angiography has sensitivities of 77% to 97% and specificities of 87% to 100% for picking up an aneurysm.
  • MR angio sensitivity and specificities are way less than CT angio. So, when CT angio is negative for an aneurysm, it is good news.
  • Even more important to know is that with level 1 evidence, the 1 or 2 mm aneurysm does not require intervention when they are unruptured and patient is under 36, non-smoker, not hypertensive or with negative family history of aneurysms.
  • I assume that you are not a smoker or hypertensive, as you have not mentioned anything about that. Take care.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|