Breakage Of Condom

What should you do when a condom breaks during intercourse?

Query: Hi doctor, I had intercourse with a sex worker from an average background. When I was reinserting, the condom popped, and my penis was exposed inside her for about two seconds. I am not sure if she is HIV positive, but what are the chances of me getting infected in this case if she was HIV positive...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Trustiva (Tinofovir, Emtricitabine, and Efavirenz) is a PEP (Post-exposure prophylaxis), which was started at the right time. It should be taken in an empty stomach and is safe. Even though the condom has broken, as you have begun the medicine PEP, you can go for a t...  Read Full »

I took emergency contraceptive in the morning after sex. Will I get pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a miscarriage two months back and got my first periods last month. Ten days back I had sex with my husband with a condom but I wonder it leaked perhaps. I took emergency contraceptive next morning. Now I am worried when will I have my periods? I do not want to get pregnant so so...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have already had emergency contraceptive pills. So you might have this hormonal pills effects for few weeks as these interfere normal menstrual cycle and prevent fertilization and pregnancy. Mostly after taking pills, there is withdrawal bleeding in 1 to 2 weeks and...  Read Full »

Should I worry about HIV due to condom breakage?

Query: Hi doctor, Before two days, I had sex with a sex worker for the first time. I used a condom for the sex. But my condom got broken. I did not see it for a few minutes. Now I am afraid of any sexual problem that can come in the future like HIV. I am totally upset, and I lost my hope. Please advice wh...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, there is a chance of HIV transmission with unprotected sex. But the risk is just one in 300. In other terms, it is only 0.3 %. The risk could be less if there were no mucosal lesions for you and your sexual partner. Regarding other infections, the risk is there. B...  Read Full »

What is the chance of pregnancy from sex on the first day of periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex on the first day of my period and spotted on the eighth day. My partner did not ejaculate inside me but the condom broke. After that sex, I started overthinking so much because I do not want to get pregnant yet. I drank ginger tea with cinnamon for almost a week. I tend to st...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly stop worrying, you are fine. I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. You and your partner had intercourse but see withdrawal is one of the most unreliable methods of birth control. See for getting pregnant, the sperms have to be meeting the eg...  Read Full »

Could condom slip and spill of precum in vagina cause pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner and I had sex. He used a condom, but then it got slipped when he moved and I think there was precum on my vulva and right after I went to wash and we stopped. This happened two months ago. Last month, my period was late by one day and lasted nine days. This month, I am late...  Read Full »

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. See, you have to understand that for getting pregnant, a sperm has to travel all the way inside the vagina, meet the egg, fertilize it and then finally if all goes well, then one gets pregnant. Now to put your ...  Read Full »

How effective is an expired condom?

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex with my girlfriend. Unfortunately, it was an expired condom. But, we had no problem with the condom. Now, my girlfriend has missed her periods. So, please give me your suggestion.  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the condom did not break, then the chance of pregnancy is low. But, she can do a urine pregnancy test to confirm her current state. For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist  Read Full »

What could be the reason for sticky penis and inflammation of foreskin after breakage of condom?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a condom tear while having sex. Two weeks later, I developed symptoms of pain and slight swelling in my right testicle, lower abdominal pain, and foreskin inflammation. Thinking it to be chlamydia, I took 1g single dose of Azithromycin. It provided me some relief but two weeks l...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry about the swelling of the foreskin you covered with antibiotics with a single dose of Azithromycin and later with one week of Amoxicillin. If there is sexually transmitted disease it might come back for mainly two reasons. Firstly, incomplete tre...  Read Full »

Can you get hepatitis C if condom tears during vaginal sex?

Query: Hi doctor I have question about hepatite C I had vaginal sex with condom but unfortunately the condom was torn during the sex and I stopped it. Is there any possibility for me to get hepatite C in this way?(actually I didn’t know her) I have tested for HCV blood test 60 days after exposure an...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello. I welcome you to icliniq. I want to know which test did you do to check Hepatitis C? If this was a high quantitative PCR test and if it was negative, then you are completely safe. If it was antibody test, and was negative, then I suggest to confrim with quantitative HCV PCR test. The antib...  Read Full »

Is the ELISA test challenging to perform?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 16 years, I had two high risk exposure with sex workers and the risk was condom break in both situations. After three months from my last exposure I did ELISA test for HIV 1 and 2. It came back negative. Again, I did the same mistake after one year, condom break with a sex worker....  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) is very easy to perform and has a sensitivity of around 99%, that means out of 100 HIV positive persons it will come positive in 99 of them. 1 person may come negative despite of him being HIV positive. So, at first instance, neg...  Read Full »

Can you get HIV if the condom breaks during sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26 year old male. I had protected vaginal sex with a sex worker 15 days back. However, the condom broke and I ejaculated inside her. I asked her whether she was HIV positive and she said no. But, I cannot trust her. I have been having chills all over my body since yesterday. I w...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Physician, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Preventive Medicine Physician, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chances of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by single unprotected intercourse is very low that is 1/200 to 1/1000. Condom tear can be almost similar to unprotected intercourse. If she is negative, then no problem. You can get her tes...  Read Full »