Q. Can I get pregnant after my recent egg retrieval treatment?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Two months ago, I underwent an egg retrieval. I am fairly regular with my cycle; however, my last cycle lasted for 35 days. My current cycle is of 30 days. While having sex, I had a condom fall off when he pulled out. I am confused if I was in ovulation or not? I took multiple LH (luteinizing hormone) tests. I was also on antibiotics and Omeprazole two weeks ago, which I have stopped taking. The first one I took, the test line was lighter than the control, but after sitting for an hour, it got darker. Is it accurate after an hour? It said to read it after three to six minutes. I took a few more tests, and in it, the test line was significantly more faint than the control. Can you please suggest me accordingly?

#

I completely understand your concern and will surely try to help you. However, to get pregnant, the sperms have to be released inside the vagina of the female. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg which may or may not be available depending upon the ovulation pattern of the female. The fertilized egg is then required to be implanted in the female's uterus. When all this happens successfully, then a female is said to have conceived.

There is a contraceptive failure in your case, but LH (luteinizing hormone) tests do not strongly indicate ovulation as per the timing guidelines. The longer you keep your LH tests, the more chemical reactions they undergo, so there is no point in seeing the result after a prolonged period. However, you are already nearing your periods, so you are likely not pregnant, as you would have understood by now.

However, in a rare possibility of likely pregnancy, you may consider making a conscious decision of taking or not taking Plan B pill (Levonorgestrel).

Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

Thank you for helping me. However, I am confused as I do not entirely understand what you mean? Can you please clarify it further?

#

I am incredibly sorry if I have not been able to explain myself adequately. Since you are on the 30th day, I suggest you not to take tablet Plan B for pregnancy. Further, I will not suggest Plan B while you are undergoing egg retrieval treatment. In addition, there is a prediction method based upon patterns of hormonal changes in a female body. Please understand that LH (luteinizing hormone) is the most reliable method, and you may consider doing it early tomorrow morning.

I hope I am clear this time and you have got your answer.

Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information

|